Days Lost

You didn't know what was going on. 

Everything was such a new and strange thing. 

It took you the longest time to learn that you really weren't five any more. Your name was (Y/N). You were eighteen years old, and many things had happened that you couldn't remember. 

You learned that there were people around you who knew you, but you couldn't seem to grasp their names. There was the shorter one, who was the eldest of the two brothers. His name was Edward; you remember him telling you this on multiple accounts. Then there was the younger but taller one. You seemed to like him better than Edward. His demeanor was calm, quiet, and he was very caring. However, the way he looked at you with such sadness put you on edge and filled you with an unexplainable sorrow. 

They had brought you home from Central, and you were taken to the nice place you called home- Resembool. It seemed to be the only thing that made sense in the confusing world you lived in. You stayed with the Elrics during this time, for they seemed to not want you going into your old home.

A lot of the time you spent bedridden. It had been a week or so now since you had woken up. You seemed to get a lot of fevers nowadays. Alphonse always came in to change the wet cloth on your head, though, often times he was very quiet about it. If you were lucky, he would say hello to you, which often times made you smile. He started doing it more the more you smiled.

It is night, now. You lie awake reminding yourself of everything you've learned, in fear that if you don't you'll forget everything again. 

The Elrics must have thought you were asleep by now, so Alphonse had stopped coming in to change the cloth on your feverish forehead. It was unbearably warm now, and you didn't want to be a bother. You could do it yourself. It was much easier to sneak out of bed at night. Though your legs were rather weak, you could manage the walk to the sink to dampen the cloth with cold water. 

As it turns out, you were not the only one awake.

"You really should stay in bed, you know. Though, I must say that you never were really one to accept help."

You turned quickly to find Alphonse standing a little ways into the kitchen, but he seemed to keep a timid distance between the two of you. 

"S-sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I can't really sleep."

Your expression shifted to a frown. "Oh... I'm sorry. Can you normally sleep okay?"

"No," his hand slipped behind his neck and he slowly rubbed it as his glance turned to the floor, "I actually can't sleep most of the time. I'm just not used to it I guess."

"I can't sleep either. Something feels very wrong... like a part of me is missing." You weren't really sure where that last statement came from or why you had said it. 

Whatever the reason, the statement seemed to make Alphonse smile a little. It wasn't so sad as you had known a lot of his smiles to be. It seemed to be more genuine. "Perhaps you would be interested in passing the nights with me then? Only if you can't sleep, though. If you can sleep you should."

And that is how you came to pass the lonely nights as you rebuilt your strength. Little did you know, your life was about to take another unforeseen twist.