Chapter 18 - Medals

*Lacey's POV*

I waited behind the stage as the soldiers were awarded their medals, those who were wounded receiving their Purple Hearts, like Mikey.

Soon all medals were presented when the president spoke.

"Now, this woman, one i admire very much for all she did in her part for the war. To save her family, she crossed to enemy lines as a spy, discovered the capability of Nazi Germany, and the nightmare secrets hidden there, helped in the rescue of three U.S. soldiers and a young orphan, helped in destroying German artillery, and basically helped in leading to Germany's surrender, all while she was pregnant with a child who was born the day our boys came home. It is with great honor i present, fiance of Lt. Way, Miss Lacey Toro," Mr. Roosevelt said.

I smile shyly as i made my way to the President, and saluted, all the soldiers and families applauding.

I saw Krista with Luca and Bandit, Dylan asleep in her arms.

"Miss Toro, it is with great honor to present to you both the World War II Victory medal, as well as the Women's Army Corps Service Medal," he said. "Meaning that from now on, you are called as Lieutenant of the Women's Army Corps. For all you've done to ensure the lives of our soldiers as well as victims of the crimes commited by Nazi Germany."

Everyone applauded as the president pinned the pins to my jacket.

"I want to also announce that you are from now on Lieutenant of the United States Women's Army Corps," he said, saluting me back as i smile at him.

"It is an honor, sir," i said, then the banquet and dancing began.

I made my way to where the guys were, they congratulated me and then we joined the family.

The ceremony went on and I then Gerard stood up, holding his hand to me.

"Would you care to dance?" he asked.

I smiled, and handed Dylan to Alicia and took Gerard's hand and we headed towards the dance floor.

Luca, Bandit, Miles, and the twins were dancing around with each other, having a good time.

Gerard and I slowly began dancing, him leaning in and kissing me softly, and I kiss him back.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you more," i said.

I was excited, since in a week, Gerard and I will finally be married. I was glad he was able to survive so we can be together.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I never saw him in Auschwitz that day.

I kiss him passionatly as we danced the night away.

~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Luca--->>

Women's Army Corps uniform Lacey wore in the external link---->>>