Part 36. (Taylor Jean)

Part 36 : Run.

*. May 30th .*

   It's been non-stopping running from people that were here to kill us, well kill Jackson. But I'd much rather ave them kill me than him or his friend. Their lives were way more valuable than mine. Somehow, it seemed like Jackson and Drake knew exactly where to go and what to do. It seemed like they had run and hid from the cops before.

   I've been scared senseless and every night has become sleepless nights because every noise made me jump. I was soon exhausted and it's been more than a week that we've been running and hiding and running and hiding. There was no stopping.

   I finally found the story of Jackson and why the cops were after him. West, his older friend - not friend, killed his parents and somehow planted it on him. He was never caught. But I guess, they've been investing the crime ever since it actually happened. That was years ago. The cops have found enough evidence to get Jackson in jail, again. I couldn't believe it. I was not going to visit him in jail, and I was not going to let them put him in jail.

   "You just need to run in and get some food. It'll take two seconds." Jackson tells me as we sit in the car that was hid behind a large tree. A gas station was in sight and I nodded slowly. I was scared to be by myself and scared for Jackson to be alone, yet he had Drake. I wondered why I had to go and not Drake.

   He kissed my cheek and I got out of the car. I started to walk with my hands in my pocket as the cold air took my breath away. I walked into the lit gas station store. The list said a few bags of chips, a pack of gum and two large bottles of water. I was scared, I hate to admit it. It was just me and the cash register, well that's what I thought.

   The bell that signals someone has walked in rang and I kept my head in the cooler where I grabbed the water. I went to the candy aisle and grabbed some M&M's. I felt a hand on my butt and I jumped slightly. Two large men with leather jackets walked past me and snickered. They didn't look like the description Jackson and Drake gave me of West.

   I went to the cash register and set the food down. The old man slowly lifted his head to look at me. He was old and his eyes were gray. He reached for the food and scanned them and put them in the bag.

   "That's going to be $900.45."

  "Excuse me?" I said as I already had the $10 it cost in my hand. "That can't be that expensive."

  "The total is $900.45." He repeated. I could tell he was scared for some reason.

   "We'll help you with that." A deep voice said with that. I look back and before I know it a bullet went straight through the mans chest. My hands went to my face as I cried. They grabbed me and I tried to wiggle out of the grip. I then grabbed my pepper spray and sprayed it in both of their faces.

   I grabbed the food and ran toward the car and straight onto Jackson's lap as I yelled to Drake to drive.

   "I wanna go home." I said.

   "You can't-"

  "Take me home, please. I can't do this anymore! Someone just got shot right in front of me and I can't! Go! Please!" I said. At first I wasn't crying but, by the last please I was sobbing.

*.*.*.*

   "I'm sorry." I said. He kissed my face and I sighed. "This isn't the end, right?"

    "I'm gonna be away for awhile."

    "Jackson-"

    "You see? This life wasn't meant for a good girl. Try as I might, in the end it's a cruel world." He snapped. "I shouldn't have ever brought you into this mess but I did and I've never been so sorry."

    "Don't apologize."

    "I have too." He said mad. "I put you in danger and it's all my fault. It's always been my fault."

    "No-"

     "I don't want you to think this is goodbye." He said grabbing my hand and putting his hand on the back of my neck.

     "But it is."

     "For a little." He said before getting into the car and leaving without one look.

    It sucks because I was getting better and now I’m not. I stare at the dark sky before finally going into the lonely home. I quickly go up the stairs and check my dad and Sadie's room; empty. I was alone. I decided to read.

    The Fault In Our Stars seemed to fit my mood. I was laughing and crying and I developed my bipolar habits all over again. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

    But one thing was true about books. Boys in books are just better. 

    The sound of my phone made me jump and almost fall over the bed. I quickly grab it but the unfamiliar number struck caution to me. But I answered.

     "Taylor! How's it going?" The voice said. It was Danny and his voice was the only thing that could put me in a better mood. A smile was plastered on my lips and all I wanted was for him to be here with me. 

     "It could be better." I downed on his happy mood. "But you? How are you?"

     "It could be better." He repeated. "I miss you."

     I missed him. He was the first love that I had, even if you are only seven, it still counts. It was young love. And I left him all alone possibly heartbroken and it was all my fault and I knew that he would never forgive me.

     "You should visit."

     "Actually.." He said. I leaned up in excitement. "I am in London at the moment."

     "What? Are you kidding?" I said. I heard him laugh and I spoke. "Are you busy? You should stop by."

    "You're boyfriend isn't gonna mind is he?"

    "He's not exactly my boyfriend anymore." It stung my mouth to say but it was the truth. Somehow I was better single, but it made me more lonely. 

    "Text me your address."

*.*.*.*

    His hair was the same. His posture was the same and the freckles across his face were the exact same since the wedding. I wondered if this was good to see him because when we were younger he was my drug. I was addicted and I was soon gonna get addicted again and become possibly more lonely when he has to leave.

    "I can't believe you did that." He laughed. We were currently drinking glasses of expensive wine. I wasn't really a drinker but I developed the idea that Danny was.

    "I was only 7!" I defended.

    "Are you okay?" He asked. I stopped laughing and looked confused. "Like, about the whole break-up? I'm surprised you haven't said anything about him."

    "I'm fine." Biggest lie a girl or boy could ever tell.