Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A/N: The video is basically Guren in this chapter. LOL

This is dedicated to CrimsonSnow4307 for their amazingly inspiring conversation with me the other day. Thank you, you have no idea how happy you've made me.

- - - -

Well, Yuu eventually got what he wanted.

Sort of.

The rest of the week passed quickly, and it was now Saturday, also known as the day Yuu was heading back into the city. However, it was different this time, considering he was merely accompanying his parents to the city square for the king's speech instead of him sneaking off in the middle of the night.

Yuu allowed the driver to open the door for him, and he slipped into the carriage wordlessly, sitting in the seat across from his parents, who got into the carriage after he did. When the royal couple was situated on the plush bench of the compartment, King Ichinose directed for the driver to move and the driver flicked the reins. The horses neighed in a whine before taking off, whisking the buggy away from the castle grounds.

The clip-clop of the horses' hooves made an excellent steady background noise (the rapid beating nearly matched his racing heart), and Yuu forced himself to relax into his seat, exhaling a slow breath. He looked out the window of the buggy, watching the world flash by in a blurred world of lush greens and blues.

He watched his parents as they traveled, who were huddled next to each other. The king was studying a set of notecards, and his queen was latched on his arm, pointing at the notecard and whispering advice to him. King Ichinose was nodding in response, and a fond smile was present on both of their faces.

A warm feeling in his chest arose when he saw them snuggled together. He found it endearing how nice of a relationship they had in comparison to the typical husband-wife relationship during that time. Usually the wife was dominated emotionally and physically by the husband and any command he had - which one would think would be amplified ten times over because of his kingly powers - but his parents acted like equals.

It almost made him proud to call them his parents. Almost.

The ride to the town square was short, which did not give Yuu nearly enough time to give himself a mental pep talk. He rushed to convince himself that everything would be fine while they rode through the cobblestone streets, bouncing up and down over the uneven road. It'll be fine, Yuu tried to tell himself. Mika is not going to find out your identity. What are the chances that he'll show up to the speech, anyway?

Pretty much guaranteed, the voice of reason in the back of his head countered. Yuu cursed his conscience for being right all the time and gulped nervously, wringing his hands in his lap.

One of the worst feelings in the world was knowing something terrible was going to happen, and there was nothing you could do about it. It was inevitable, Yuu realized, that Mika would figure out he's been lying to him the entire time. And if that didn't put a terrible feeling in his gut, he wasn't sure what would.

The buggy rolled to a stop, and Yuu felt his breath hitch in his throat. The driver opened the door for them, allowing the king to exit the buggy first, followed by the queen, and then him. Already Yuu could hear the roar of the crowd piercing his ears, and he clenched his teeth. Putting on a wide smile the moment he exited the carriage, he waved at the squealing girls gathered on either side.

The crowd parted like the Red Sea when two security agents ordered them to make way for the royal family. Yuu, acting upon his trained instincts, smiled charismatically at the girls who shouted his names, kneeling and kissing a few of their hands for added effects.