Sixteen- Truth or Dare

Waking up the morning after my birthday was amazing. Instead of being woken by my screaming friends, I was woken by an adorable Lauren, sleepy, but adorable nonetheless. Her hair was wet and she smelled of strawberries, a clear sign she had already had a shower.

"Good morning." Lauren smiled. Damn that's something I could get used to.

"A good morning indeed. What time is it?" I asked.

"Just past seven. We don't have to leave until like 8:30 cause we don't have to pick up the others this morning." Lauren explained.

"So... We could just stay in bed and cuddle for like, half an hour?" Yeah okay, I totally get why it sounds like we're dating.

"Unfortunately no, as tempting as that sounds. You gotta get up. Your parents are awake, Jacksons also awake. They're in the kitchen making breakfast." Lauren informed me.

I literally jumped up, sitting up realising that my family was home. They're actually here. It wasn't just some dream. They're home.

"You alright?" Lauren chuckled.

"I'll be back in a sec!" I sprinted up from my bed, rushing out the door towards the lounge room, leaving a laughing Lauren behind.

I ran to the kitchen, hearing light laughter and the smell of something delicious filling the room.

"Good morning sweet." My dad smiled, reading the newspaper and taking a sip of his coffee.

"Ah Chloe you're awake. Would you like some breakfast? We have waffles." My mum said.

This was so strange. Not only were my family home, but everyone was happy. This was so different from how it used to be. Before my parents and Jack moved to London, I hardly got to see them in the mornings as it was. Normally I would wake up, get ready for school and by the time I would get to the kitchen, dad would have already left for work and mum would be too busy getting Jackson ready. There was never any family breakfasts and everyone was generally unhappy.

"Chloe! Come play with me!" I heard Jackson from the lounge room.

"Chlo? You okay?" Dad asked. I must've been standing there just staring for a while.

"I'm just really happy you're here." I smiled. Dad seemed to accept that answer and then went back to his reading.

I heard the pattering of feet against the hardwood floors. I turned around to see Jackson running towards me in his Hot Wheels pjs.

"Chlo, can you come play cars with me?" Jackson asked.

"I will in a bit, I just have to get ready for school first okay?" I said and gave him a quick kiss on the forehead.

God how I loved being able to see him and knowing that I would be able to play with him. I'd be able to be a big sister to him. Finally.

I shook the thoughts from my mind, remembering that this was only for a few months. Eventually, my parents and Jackson would be returning to London and I would probably be going off to university.

"Morning Parker family!" I heard Layla's cheery voice enter the room.

"Morning Lay!" Our whole family cheered back. 

"How are we all this fine morning?" Layla asked, grabbing a glass of orange juice.

"Fantastic." I smiled. Even if this happy family time only lasts a little while, I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

I excused myself to go back to my room and get ready for school. I walked in on Lauren putting on a shirt, which made me blush but thankfully Lauren didn't notice.