prologue → how it all started.

bahja.

The obnoxiously loud bass from the music had been annoying me as I stepped foot in the door. I hated house parties with a passion and I vowed to never go to one until now. Tonight is my boyfriend's birthday party and clearly he decided to throw one of these wild house parties. Originally I wasn't going to attend but, what kind of girlfriend would I be for not coming? I probably would end up single.

I walked in between sweaty bodies and tons of females twerking and dry humping random guys. This is why I hated house parties with a passion, everyone is practically fucking each other on the dance floor. After being smothered by people from walking I finally spotted my man. He had been sitting on top of the counter surrounded by his crew. Did I mention that I hated them with a passion also?

Anyways, I swear I stared at him for a good twenty minutes. I mean, who wouldn't stare? He looked daddy-ish all day and everyday. Every part of him was perfect and I was definitely blessed enough to call him mine. I tucked strands of my hair behind my ear and walked over to him. His attention quickly turned away from his friends and went on me.

He smiled, showing his perfectly white teeth. "You made it. I didn't think you would come."

I stood in between his legs with my arms wrapped around his waist. "I wouldn't dare miss your party and you know that."

"I know. I was just making sure."

"Mm. Just enjoy the fact that I'm here." I stood on my tippy toes and pecked his lips.

Again, I got blessed big time. It's so crazy how things first started off so innocent and then turned into something more. I remember how it all happened just like it was yesterday.

eight months before.

New school, new me. Nah, that's definitely a lie. From what I've heard this is supposed to be the best high school in this entire neighborhood. That's definitely something I will have a hard time believing. I walked through the doors of Crenshaw HS and these kids were running around like monkeys in a jungle. I'm sick of them already.

I reached into my purse and pulled out my schedule. My first class is calculus unfortunately. Who invented calculus anyway? And what was the reasoning for it being invented? As I was walking down the hall to my class, I spotted one of my best friends, Zonnique. Sadly, I didn't even know she went here.

"Zonnique?" I called her name out and started walking closer to where she was.

She turned around with a irritated look which soon turned into a smile once she saw me. "BAHJ!" She pulled me into a bear hug and then pulled away. "You go here now?"

"Yep, unfortunately. This isn't the school for me but, you know how my mother is."

"You'll fit in perfectly, girl. Just please don't get caught up with these fuck boys! The only thing they want to do is ruin your life."

I laughed. "You don't have to tell me twice but, I have to get going. I don't want to be late for my first day."

"Alright, see you at lunch babes."

We hugged each other goodbye and went our separate ways. I walked into the classroom seconds before the bell had rung. I was confused if I was in the correct class because, these kids were sitting on the desks and throwing paper at one another. You've got to be kidding me. The teacher called attention to the classroom and everyone looked at her.

"Take your seats students! We have a new student joining our classroom for the rest of the year." She looked at me. "Ms.Rodriguez, would you like to introduce yourself?"

I threw on a wonderful fake smile. "Hey. I'm Bahja Rodriguez and I just moved back here yesterday. And that's all I have to say."

She nodded. "Alright, well have a seat anywhere you would like."

There were only three seats left and I wasn't sitting next to the kids that looked tragic. I walked towards the back of the class room and took my seat beside some random light skinned boy. He looked like a thug but, what would a thug be doing in this class? Is that even a real question? Whatever, that doesn't matter. The teacher started to teach her lesson and I started dozing off.

Her voice was boring and everybody in the class had been knocked out. I looked at the board and attempted to understand what she was talking about. But, I couldn't concentrate properly correctly because, ole dude was staring at me hard. Do niggas not know how to just say 'hi' now a days?

"Why don't you just take a picture instead of staring." I whispered to him.

"What if I already took one and I'm just having more fun looking at the real image?"

I looked at him and jerked my head back. "Do you realize how creepy that sounds?"

He chuckled softly. "Nope. But, what is a girl like you doing here?"

"I had to move back in with my mother because, my father went to jail. And if I had things my way I wouldn't be here right now."

"Damn. Must be a hard knock life for you." He laughed. "But, what's your name? I wasn't listening when you introduced yourself."

"I'm Bahja. Bahja Rodriguez."

"That's a nice name. It's unique."

I smiled. "Mm, yeah. Thanks, your name is?"

"Chresanto. Chresanto August." He smiled.

What a nice smile he has.

"It's nice to meet you, August. Now let's end this conversation until class is over so I can actually get some work done."

---

five detailed comments until the next chapter.

1. keep or delete?
2. thoughts on this chapter?