Two Days Later

Two days after I had become an official Crystal Gem, things were pretty different for me. Not only was I working with those among the ranks of pearls and sapphires, but I was working alongside those I had been taught to despise.

We were sitting at the base when Garnet sat straight up. She looked around as we all became very tense. I cowered in my seat, not sure what she was doing.

"Gems. We have a mission. There is a corrupted gem wreaking havoc on Mask Island. Lets go." We all ran to the warp pad, and Steven warped us there. I heard an ear-piercing screech not far from were we were. We followed the sound until we saw the gem. It was taller than Garnet, and had four arms and three legs. Steven shuddered, and I immediately knew why. It was one of the fabled forced fusions.

"Gems. Weapons. Now." We all pulled out our respective weapons "Emerald, hold it there." I nodded and focused on holding the freaky fusion there. All of a sudden, Amethyst leaped upon the monster and wrapped it in her whip. Pearl lunged and drove her spear through its gut. I sighed and relaxed my power as the gem was poofed. Steven walked up and encased it in a bubble. He tapped the top and up it went. To where, I didn't know.

"Thanks, Emerald. That was much easier. Normally, we have to chase these things all over the place." I smiled, glad to be able to contribute, even if it is in a small way. I put my dagger away and we walked to the warp pad.

"So, for your very first mission, and from what I understand, your first time out on the field, you did pretty well, Emerald." I blushed as Steven complimented my skill. I shrugged.

"It wasn't that good. You guys did so well!" I refused the compliment, even though it meant more to me than they would ever know.

"I'm serious. It took me forever to understand what we do and why we do it." I smiled and finally accepted the compliment.

"Thanks Steven." He smiled at me and shrugged.

"Steven, watch Emerald. Gems, we need to talk." They nodded, and walked to the temple. They went inside and I was left alone with Steven.

"So Emerald, what did you do back on Homeworld? Where did Emerald Quartz come from? What's her story?" Steven asked, heading to the fridge. I shrugged.

"There isn't much to me. I worked at an injector drill company. No friends, no family. No time off. It was pretty standard. But now, there is so much to do, but it seems we rarely do anything." Steven looked at me, encapsulated by my words.

"Sure we do. I mean, the gems are doing stuff all the time. Its me who gets all the down time. But I guess I need it because I'm half human. I need rest and relaxation. You'll probably get more work as they let you deeper into the team. Or you could go live with Peridot and Lapis, if this doesn't suit you." I nodded, taking in his words.

"Thanks Steven. I needed that. To know I'm not just another stepping stone for someone. On Homeworld, that's all we were. Stepping stones for the elite." I shook my head, clearing it of thoughts of my former rulers. "I shouldn't tell you this. The gems said you were too young."

"Yeah, they say that a lot. Thanks for letting me in, Emerald." I smiled at him.

"No problem Steven. For a kid, you aren't that bad."

"You're not bad for a Homeworld gem yourself, Em."

This was going to take some getting used to. But I knew I would love it.