Chapter 12

By the time the sun sets, my mind is made up. I may not leave the palace alive, but my family will.

Giving myself up to the wizard terrifies me, but I see no other recourse, no other way to keep my city and my family safe.

He's coming for me—if I go willingly, it will buy them time to escape.

Enough people have suffered because of me, first due to the cursed deal, and now because of my attempts to play with forces I should never have touched.

It ends now. I will go with the wizard, whatever that may mean. Whether I live or die, I will not let any more people sacrifice themselves in my name.

I rise from my bed, feeling lighter than I expected. A hollow spot opens in my chest and steadily expands.

I may never see Mama and Papa and Delia again. I may never see Ren again. I cling to their images in my mind, hoping that whatever happens, they're imprinted deeply enough on my heart to endure into the next life or into death.

My nightgown won't do for this endeavor. I select a pale rose-colored gown and dress myself in the mirror. A few cuts mar my face, making me less ladylike than usual.

It doesn't matter tonight.

I take a slip of paper, a pen, and some wax from my desk and sit down to write my final words to my family. My final words to Ren.

Dear Mama and Papa,

Run. Flee Bryre and seek the safety of another country until the wizard is far away from our home. I know you will not approve of what I am doing, but I have made up my mind. Like you told me, Mama, sometimes queens have to make the hard decisions. I may not be a queen yet, but I understand what you meant.

Giving myself up to the wizard is the only way to ensure your safety and the safety of our entire city, and that is more important to me than my own. I cannot sit idly by in my tower while you sacrifice yourselves. There is no point. He will win either way. But this way, you at least have a chance.

Please, go, and do not let my sacrifice be in vain.

Your loving daughter,

Rosabel

Dear Delia,

Forgive me if I have neglected you these past few months. You are one of the dearest people in the world to me. I must leave to keep you, Mama, and Papa safe. If there were any other way, please know I would remain here and be the older sister you deserve.

Be brave, sister. You will rule the city one day, and I know you will be a kind queen. Ren will help you. I'm so sorry I won't be here to see it.

Love,

Rosabel

Dear Ren,

By the time you read this letter, I will already be gone. Please do not despair for me. I do this willingly and to keep everyone I love safe. I must put duty before everything else, and this instance is no exception.

You have always been my best friend and confidant, and as close to me as my own kin. You are as dear to me as I am to you.

Please watch over my mother and father, and especially Delia, when I am gone. And my garden.

Yours,

Rosabel

I fold each letter carefully, wrapping a tiny piece of my heart in each one. I melt the wax and seal the letters with the personal stamp Father gave me when I was just a child—a perfect rose, imprinted in red wax.