Chapter Twelve - Fall walks and Fairs

Another Sunday, another early awakening from the devils reincarnate himself.

Rubbing my eyes and lazily walking down the stairs, I see Brandon's bright smile pelting down on me like the suns rays as I walk through the door and sit on the porch seat.

"Again, what the fuck am I doing up on a Sunday? I told you, anyone of my friends who come to see me know visiting hours aren't before 1pm." I growl angrily.

He laughs and digs out his phone, flashing me the home screen. "It is after one. You see, I was good this time." He smirks.

I get up from my seat annoyed, "Hold on one second," I say walking back into the house.

Before he has the chance to respond, I slam the door in his face.

Brandon's POV

Staring at the door I heave a sigh before knocking on it again.

Waiting a few moments, I see that no ones planning on answering it and just as I am about to turn and think of something else, it opens revealing a less grumpy looking Arcelia with a steaming mug of coffee in her small hands.

She looks adorable when she's grumpy. But I know to keep my distance because adorable can turn into terrifying in seconds when she hasn't had her coffee. Her and her damned coffee.

Sometimes I think she was more in love with it than she was me, but I couldn't blame her, I know her love for coffee and food.

She walks and sits on the porch seat, breaking me from my thoughts and looks up at me expectantly.

"So, I bet you're wondering why I gathered you here today," I look to her.

She takes a sip and looks back at me, "I am considering you should know by now that your feeble attempts are no match for my stubbornness." She retorts sassily.

I suppress a laugh, her and that damn attitude of hers. She always has a sarcastic or sassy response waiting for you. Her quick wit was one of my favourite things about her.

"I come here today with a proposal," I start before she quickly cuts in.

"Well you should've told me, I would've dressed in my best gown and done something with my hair," she rolls her eyes, using her best posh British accent.

I let out a laugh, "No need my darling, you're absolutely ravishing as it is." I play along, taking a bow.

She barks out a laugh and I smile instantly.

Clearing my throat I continue, "Anyway, I wanted to know if you'd accompany me to the fair today. As just friends, nothing more. My mom bought tickets for my brother but he has an essay due tomorrow that he hasn't started yet and it's worth a good portion of his grade."

"Classic Jeremy," she laughs and shakes her head. "But why can't you bring another friend?" She asks.

"Because I'd like you to come along, it's the one we went to last year, and you and I both know we had a lot of fun. Come on, Arcelia, it will be fun, I promise."

She takes a deep inhale and I see her pondering the idea, eyebrows crinkling, a small frown on her face before she looks up.

"And what if it isn't?" She challenges.

I think for a minute before an idea comes to mind, "Then I will buy you a coffee everyday this week to make up for it, and I won't bother you anymore." I conclude.

Her back straightens and her frown deepens, seemingly upset by my words. But she agrees anyway, much to my surprise.

"Give me 20 to get dressed and do something with this," she points to her mop of curls, "you can wait out here." And with that she's off, heading back into the house, empty mug in hands.

I sit down and let out a breath, I'm happy that she's coming but also now worried that if she doesn't have a good time I've ruined my chance for good.

*****

Arcelia POV

I think I surprised myself more than Brandon by agreeing to go. But I couldn't help but agree with his points because to be honest, we did have a lot of fun last year.

I didn't even know that it was this weekend, I guess I hadn't been paying much attention, but I'm a sucker when it comes to fairs, especially this one. I've been going to it since I came to this small town years ago, it's a tradition of mine. And although I also have a strict tradition of staying in and sleeping on Sunday's, it's overruled by the fair since I didn't go on Friday or Saturday and today's the last day it's in town this year.

It's not a big fair, just a small fair they have around mid October every year, they have some rides and games for the younger ones, as well as some different fall festivities. I can't say I wasn't excited to be going.

I pull on some skinny jeans and a jumper, and run my hands through my hair to tame it and get the tangles out, but keep a hair elastic on my wrist for good measure. Brushing my teeth and grabbing my wallet I'm good to go.

I head downstairs and say a quick goodbye to Cassie's dad, who sees me heading out and asks where I'm going.

Walking out the door I see Brandon seated patiently, his eyes looking up to meet mine when he hears the door close.

"Ready to go?" He asks, standing up.

I nod my head and give him a small smile and we're off.

"I didn't bring my car, so we have to walk, is that okay?" He asks, the worry evident in his features.

The fair is just a little ways away downtown, maybe a ten minute walk, so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't bring the car. I hadn't even expected him to bring it.

"Yeah don't worry about it, it's hard to find parking on the fairgrounds anyway, this will save us time." I smile.

He smiles at me but looks confused, "Why do you seem to be in such a good mood already? I was surprised you even agreed to go with me to be honest." He asks.

"I forgot the fair was in town this weekend, if you hadn't come today I would've forgotten to go. It's a tradition of mine to go every year," I admit with a small smile.

He looks at me with surprised eyes, "You forgot? But you've come here literally every year since you were seven."

Now it's my turn to be shocked, "How do you remember that?"

"You think I'd forget?" He gives me a small smile and I look at the ground to avoid him seeing the red blush on my cheeks, but to no avail.

He lets out a surprised, overly dramatic gasp, "IS THAT A BLUSH I SEE WINTERS?!" He shouts, earning a smack in the arm from me.

"Would you shut up? It's just from the cold you oaf," I glare playfully.

He rubs his arm from my whack but smiles, "Calm down it's adora-" he stops himself before continuing.

"I mean, it's cool. Don't worry about it, I know it's just from the cold." He smiles, "Hey look, we're here!" He points and I grin.

******
Authors Note: Cute things are happening! Well, at least I think they're cute. I decided to leave it at a small cliffhanger, mainly because I'd like to do a good description of the fair and that should be a whole chapter in itself.

I'd just like to send a big shoutout to everyone who's been reading, voting and even adding my story to their reading lists! It means so much so I thank you all. You have no idea how excited I was to open my notifications to find all that. Incredible. I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend,

Love always,

Dia ❤️