Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Sir," I say quietly, "when will my powers from being an elemental come in?"

"As soon as you start to use them," Dumbledore says, his eyes twinkling. "I had the courtesy of ordering in some books for you. Unfortunately, there is no one to teach you, only you can do that."

"Do you know where I'm going this summer?"

"Arrangements have been made."

Harry is shaking his head, seemingly unaware that the conversation has moved on.

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU, HARRY!

"It was stupid, thinking to was him," he mutters. "I mean, I knew he was dead."

"You think the dead we have loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself most plainly when you have need of him. How else could you produce that particular Patronus? Prongs rode again last night."

It takes a moment for me to realise what Dumbledore has said.

"Sirius told me all about how they became Animagi last night," says Dumbledore, smiling. "An extraordinary achievement - not least, keeping it quiet from me. And then I remembered the more unusual form your Patronus took, when it charged Mr Flint down at your Quidditch match against Ravenclaw. So you did see your father last night, Harry ... you found him in yourself."

And Dumbledore leaves the office, leaving Harry and I alone, with our very confused thoughts.

*

Nobody at Hogwarts knows the truth of what happened the night that Sirius, Buckbeak and Pettigrew had vanished except Harry, Ron, Hermione, Elinor, Maya, Professor Dumbledore and I. As the end of the term approaches, I hear many different theories about what had really happened, but none of them come close to the truth.

Everyone is shocked at my appearance and by the news that I'm Harry's sister. I had to have a long discussion with Draco about that fact. Luckily for me, he's completely fine with it, as long as he doesn't have to start being nice to Harry. He also invited me round his over the summer, which I may or may not accept.

Percy Weasley, meanwhile, has much to say on the subject of Sirius' escape.

"If I manage to get into the Ministry, I'll have a lot of proposals to make about Magical Law Enforcement!" he tells the only person who'll listen - his girlfriend Penelope.

Though the weather is perfect, though the atmosphere is so cheerful, though I know we've achieved the near impossible in helping Sirius to freedom, I've never approached the end of a school year in worse spirits.

I'm certainly not the only who's sorry to see Professor Lupin go. The whole of my Defence Against the Dark Arts class are miserable about his resignation.

"Wonder what they'll give us next year?" says Seamus Finnigan gloomily.

"Maybe a vampire," suggests Dean Thomas hopefully.

It isn't only Professor Lupin's departure that's weighing on my mind. I can't help thinking a lot about Professor Trelawney's prediction. I keep wondering where Pettigrew is now, whether he's sought sanctuary with Voldemort yet.

The exam results come out on the last day of term. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Elinor, Maya and I have passed every subject. I'm amazed that Harry's got through Potions. I have a shrewd suspicion that Dumbledore has stepped in to stop Snape failing him on purpose. Snape's behaviour towards Harry and I over the past week has been quite alarming. I didn't think it was possible that Snape's dislike for us could increase, but it certainly has. A muscle twitches unpleasantly at the corner of Snape's thin mouth every time he looks at Harry or I, and he's constantly flexing his fingers, as though itching to place them around our throat's.