40

Justin:

It was so nice to see Kayden and her dad actually talking again. And it was all because of me too. If I hadn't forced Kayden to talk to her dad, she would still be ignoring him. Not that I mean to sound cocky or anything.

Nicholas apologized to Kate too. She came home right after he and Kayden made up. Katie and Nick talked for a while, without fighting for a change. Kayden was so happy to see them having a real conversation for the first time in 11 years.

That night, Kayden and I went over to Nick's. The three of us ended up watching some movies. The last one we watched was a horror movie. Kayden, of course, didn't even watch it though. She put her earbuds in and played on her phone.

Although, on occasion, she would glance at the TV and get scared and she would instantly go back to her phone.

Once the movie had finished, we were all tired. So we said our goodnights and headed on up to bed.

I crawled into bed with Kayden, laying down next to her. I wrapped my arms around her and she buried herself into my chest.

"Night, Kayd." I whispered into her ear before kissing her cheek softly. "Night, Justy." She replied, sounding tired.

Pretty soon, we both fell asleep, Kayden wrapped safely in my arms.

"No." I heard a small voice say, making me wake from my peaceful sleep. My tired, droopy eyes slowly fluttered open.

I looked around the dark room and saw nothing. then I looked down and saw Kayden was still in my arms, cuddled against me.

Almost instantly, I noticed she was trembling in her sleep. Her face was scrunched up, making her seem like she was scared.

Oh no... I thought. She was having a nightmare.

"No." She repeated, this time a little louder. "Justin, help!" she said, gradually getting louder. I had to wake her before her nightmare got too bad.

"Kayden." I softly shook her. And she still didn't wake up. She was trembling even harder in my arms. I sat up and shook her again, this time harder. "Kayden."

She let out a scream before her eyes shot open. She shot up into a sitting position, breathing hard. Tears were in her eyes and threatening to spill over. She put her hands over her face and rested her elbows on her knees.

"Kayden..." I said softly, leaning forward to rub her back. She flinched at my touch and I instantly pulled away, not wanting to scare her anymore then she already was.

"Kayden, baby, it's me." I said gently. She slowly lifted her beautiful, scared face from her hands and looked at me.

"Hey." I said, leaning forward again. I slowly and carefully wrapped my arms around her small, fragile body. This time, she didn't flinch at my touch.

She instantly buried her face in my chest as I held her, I could hear her soft whimpers as she cried.

I gently pulled her away from my chest and made her look at me. "Kayden, what happened? What was your nightmare about?" I asked in a soft, gentle voice.

She still trembled is if she was outside in the cold and tears were still visible, glistening in her gorgeous brown eyes.

She shook her head, telling me she wasn't ready to talk yet. I sighed and pulled her against me again, I leaned back, taking her with me so that we were in a laying position again. Her head rested on my chest. I kissed her hair as she tried to stop crying and calm herself down. What could her dream have been about that made her so scared? The last time she was this scared from a nightmare was when she dreamt that I was beating her. Man, I shutter at the thought. I could never hurt my baby.

Finally after a good five minutes, I heard her whimpers stop and I knew she was no longer crying. But I could still feel her trembling in my arms, making me pull her closer.

"J-Justin?" She shuttered, ever so softly. "Yeah, baby?" I asked, running my hand through her hair.

"it was about h-him." She said. I guessed she was talking about the dream. "Who's him, sweetie?" I asked her.

One look. That's all it took. She gave me one look and I knew exactly who the dream was about.

Him....