Chapter Eleven

Penny sat on her bed, staring at her reflection in the mirror across the room.

How could her parents have lied to her for this long? No, not her parents; her parents were Harley Quinn and the Joker.

Harley's freak out at the mention of Penny's name made séance now, but how could Joker not have recognized her? Did he know she existed? Then it hit her: Ivy recognized her.

Was her physical resemblance to Joker and Quinn that noticeable? Who else knew who she was?

Penny stood and paced the floor.

A tapping comes from the window. Penny looks over and sighs with relief when she sees Opal.

Opal opens the window and climbs through the opening. "Hey girl. I heard there was a party crasher. Care to fill me in?" Her eyes glance over Penny's face. She frowns. "What's wrong?"

Penny runs her fingers through her hair. "I-I'm not who you think I am."

Opal takes a step forward. "What do you mean?"

"I'm the daughter of two super villains."

Opal laughs. "Right, and I'm the queen of England. I know your parents, Penny."

Penny shakes her head. "No, I'm serious. Dad just told me." She hugs herself.

"Okay? Then, who are your parents?"

"Promise not to freak?"

"I promise nothing."

"Harley Quinn and the Joker."

Opal's mouth drops open. "For real?" She rubs her chin, "now that you mention it, you do kind of look like Quinn."

Penny groans and collapses onto her bed, her hands covering her face. "I know."

Opal sat on the bed and took Penny's wrists and moved her hands away from her face. "Common, it isn't that bad. So what is you're the spawn of two crazies? You were raised by two great people."

Penny lets out a heavy sigh. "Two people who laid to me my whole life."

"They did it with the best intentions."

"I know, but it still hurts."

Opal laid down next Penny. "I'm here for you. Just don't cry on me."

Penny grabbed a pillow and threw it at Opal.

The two laugh.

"So," Opal rolls onto her stomach. "Have you gotten into any Quinn-ish activities?"

Penny props herself up on her elbows. "I've been hanging out with Ivy."

Opal gasps, "shut up, seriously?"

"Yeah, she's been working me hard."

"Are you actually becoming a villain?"

"I don't know. She said that she didn't care if I became a hero or villain. I think she's just lonely and wants company."

Opal rests her elbows on the bed and props her head up on her palms. "That's pretty cool, huh? It's like a dream come true."

"Yeah, but I think it's gotten me into trouble."

Opal frowns. "What kind of trouble?"

"There's these dogs going around attacking villains. And I think I'm one of the targets."

"hmm, that is an issue. Maybe we should talk to Ivy about it?"

Penny laughs. "You just want to meet her."

Opal grins, "Maybe just a little. Besides, don't you want to tell her about who your parents are?"

"I think she already knows."

Opal pouts. "Darn."

Penny sits up. "Common pouty puss, I'll introduce you."

Opal jumps off the bed. "You're the best!"

Penny stands and grabs her mask off the dresser. She stuffs it into her pyjama pants pocket. She leads her friend out the bedroom door and out of the house.

Opal bounces with every step.