Naive

Shanks POV

He stood in between both sides of this ruthless war, finally putting an end to it and at least having this out of the way. To stop all these pointless deaths.

These deaths...

'(Y/N)', Shanks thought, still on guard with his narrowed eyes as he looked around. Her small vivre card within his shirt.

When he finished withholding Kaido from this War of the Best and was on his way, he immediately took notice of a burning sound within his pants pockets. Shanks was aware of (Y/N)'s sentence in Impel Down, so he took notice before from how her vivre card burned. But it managed to become full again, which must've meant that she got fully healed. Shanks was grateful to whoever did that for her.

Forever grateful.

Now, however, as he held the rapidly burning paper on his palm his eyes started to widen. His heart started to pound from what the red headed man registered as fear. Fear for her. Fear for (Y/N).

"Captain? Are you okay?" Lucky Roo asked around his bone of meat.

Shanks clenched his hand around the card and brought it to his chest, his eyes hidden beneath his head of red hair.

"Have the ship move faster. We are losing time."

Lucky Roo, as well as his other closest crew mates, blinked and looked over at him. Shanks slowly raised his head, his eyes in slits, the scar adding to his sinister look.

"We cannot afford anyone else losing their lives, we must go!" Shanks commanded, his tan hand still around the still burning paper.

'Hold on (Y/N)!'

His crew quickly nodded and fixed the sails to possibly go faster, and commands of navigation all mixed together. Shanks couldn't even hear what he was saying, as he walked towards the head of the ship. He slowly opened his hand and looked at her vivre card, her life, burning away.

'Stay alive! I still have so much to tell you, so live! Live (Y/N)!'

When he finally arrived at the site, and he sneaked another peek at (Y/N)'s vivre card he let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

'It's healing...'

Little did he know, that he wouldn't find
(Y/N) anywhere in his sights. He still felt stares from some, but the most prominent was Mihawk's. Shanks glanced over to his direction, although the swordsman was far away, he spotted the shake of the head of his ex-rival. And...was that a look of contempt?

Shanks frowned.

'Do they not know?' Shanks thought, bewildered. His eyes strayed to look for a certain close friend of (Y/N). The one you always seem to talk about. Once he spotted the famous marine, he took a look over at him.

The famous White Hunter of the marines, Shanks observed, had a dark look on his face with hands tight on his weapon. The Yonko continued to look at how a bespectacled woman tried to talk to him, but the marine said nothing. Only lifted up his head, and seemed to be glaring harshly at something. Shanks followed his stare, his own eyes narrowing as he noticed what the Commodore was looking at with pure loathing.

The Admiral Akainu.

'So he's the one that hurt (Y/N).'

Before the Admiral looked his way, Shanks changed his expression into a casual smile but with his brows still down. He turned his head and tried to find someone to ask about what happened to (Y/N), but instead his coffee colored eyes landed on the ex-Warlord, Crocodile. Shanks blinked.