Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

The restaurant was fairly small and dimly lit, which gave it a much more intimate feeling. Candles were at every table along with a vase of roses. I smiled as other couples watched us approach our booth.

“I like this place,” I told Niall.

“I knew you would. I’ve been here once before with the boys. We never came back because this place just feels more… Uh, romantic. It feels like couples should only come here. The food’s great though,” Niall replied.

He took my hands from across the table and gave me a million dollar smile. I stared in admiration into the eyes of the wonderful man I called my husband. A thousand thoughts raced through my mind, swirling into an utter amount of nothingness. All the memories mixed together and reminded me of all the times with Niall. I swallowed as a memory stayed in my head of the bright-eyed boy I first met when I was seventeen. Now, at twenty, he seemed so much older. His composure changed. Nearly everything about him did, except those eyes.

A waiter approached us with a bright smile.

“May I take your order for your drinks?” He asked.

“Two cokes please,” Niall answered for the both of us.

“Do you need more time to review the menu or would you like to order now?” The waiter asked us.

“We need some time to look at the menu,” I told him.

He nodded and brought our drink orders to the kitchen. Once the kind man left our table, Niall stared at me with a weird expression upon his face.

“What?”

“What if you have an alien baby?”

So much for mature, right? I rolled my eyes and threw the nearest thing at him, which luckily for him happened to be a napkin, and not a knife. He laughed as if his question was the most hilarious thing he had ever heard. I ignored Niall as he snorted in his seat. Our waiter, who happened to be named Rob, appeared back at our booth with a skip in his step.

“Are you ready to order?” He asked gleefully.

“Um, yeah,” I blubbered, despite the fact that I had not even gazed at the menu.

“I’ll have the five layer lasagna,” Niall replied.

“And for you, miss?” Rob asked.

“I want the angel hair pasta with parmesan cheese please.”

Rob smiled and took our menus. He placed our drinks down and assured us that our food would arrive shortly.

I realized the fact that the majority of the relationship between Niall and I centered on food, but I was okay with that. We have special moments while we’re out doing public activities like eating and such. It also happened to be a time for me to reflect on my life and how much it has changed. I went from eating in Nando’s for the first time with Gemma and the boys to eating in a random Italian restaurant with Niall, who is now my husband, today.

This journey that Niall and I have been on has been a long one filled with struggles and some of the hardest moments I’ve ever had to endure, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Niall changed my life entirely and I quite believe that he saved me. Nothing would be the same if I hadn’t left America. The priceless moments that I experienced with the people I loved most would be all gone if I was never sent to live with my biological father and half brother Harry. All in all, I was thankful; thankful for the best of times and the worst.