29: mario kart musings

ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS, none of them have practice or club meetings, simply because of school policy. So they decide to bum out at Jeremy's house, sprawled across the old couches in front of the tv (where Elle and Laurent are playing video games).

    "Why. Do. You. Have. So. Many. Goddamn. Mosquitos. In this house," Laurent mutters as he bounces both his legs, hands occupied.

    "Because it's a fucking swamp down here that's why," Elle says swiftly and receives a swifter swat to the back of her head—delivered by Jeremy.

    "If you guys don't like it you can go."

    "Roma had the right idea in not coming here..." Elle says.

    "Lies," Jeremy retorts. "I know she's busy studying for AP exams."

    "Crazy," Camila speaks up. "Isn't she taking seven courses or something? How does she have the time if she's not even in state half the time?"

    "My girlfriend, guys," Elle says proudly. "Oh, and eight classes, not seven."

    "Whatever."

    "You're just jealous Jer."

    "Of you? What's Roma been feeding you, Elle? You can't walk around with such a big head. Might get scoliosis because the right side of your face is bigger than your left."

    "Oh fuck you."

    Laurent hoots as he beats Elle in the first lap of Mario Kart but at this point, she's got a steely look to her face and Camila knows she won't stop until she demolishes him.

    "So," Jeremy whispers to her, "are you and King getting it on?"

    Camila stifles the urge to wipe the look off his face. "No."

    "Told you."

    "Told me what?"

    "That it's pointless going after him. I heard Andy wants to take you to prom."

    "No way."

    "Would you accept?" Jeremy lies on his side and has one eye on the race and the other scoping her reaction.

    "If Laurent rejects me," Camila says decidedly. Jeremy nods and urges the pair to hurry up so he can beat them. Now that Jeremy's brought it up, prom's in a few weeks and she knows for certain that Laurent wouldn't attend as her date so she sighs dejectedly and scrolls through her messages.

    Andy's a nice guy. Perhaps even nicer than Camila is and she feels horrible for thinking it but also kind of distant. Or maybe he's not. Maybe she just needs to spend more time with him. They haven't really been in contact since last year but she definitely thinks he's cute.

    "What's wrong Mila? Mario Kart not your thing? What's with the sigh, huh?" Laurent hops onto the seat beside her, after resigning to Elle.

    "Nothing," she says and sighs again.