Chapter 9

"Don't leave please." Andy begged and I lifted my backpack from the rug. 

"Andy, I have to go to school. You know that." I told him and started to turn away. He grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back.

"Would you rather be at school, or here with me? We can play scramble or some board game." he smiled, brushing his hair to the side. 

I sighed because I knew he wouldn't give up. His eyes softened and he gave me a look.

"Please?"

"Ugh, fine. But, only for today." I mumbled and set my backpack down behind the couch so my dad or my mother wouldn't see it. Andy smiled big and took by my hand and led me upstairs to the attic. He had some blankets set up there and the cobwebs were gone. 

"Andy.." I whispered, covering my mouth. 

"This is so nice of you, I wouldn't have expected anything like this from you. Thank you.." I went over to him and saw him pick up a board game. It looked like it was chess, a game I actually enjoyed. He set it down onto this mini table he mad out of an old box and wood. 

"What color would you like?" he asked me as he sorted out the pieces.

"Black."

"I had a feeling you would want black." he smirked and started to set up the pieces.

"What would you have done if I didn't stay home?" I questioned, leaning my elbow against my leg. He shrugged and continued to put the pieces on the board. 

"I don't know. I would've just stayed up here and wait for you to come back home. I might have showed you after school if I was in a better mood at the time." he chuckled in a serious tone. 

"I don't like when you leave. I'm scared you won't come back." Andy swallowed hard.  He suddenly stood up and scurried to the closet in the attic. He came back out with a rose, a black rose. He handed it to me and smled.

"I painted it black," he began," I know how do you like normal things."

I smiled at him and took the rose into my hands.

"You're the first boy to ever give me a rose." my eyes gleamed at him. 

"I'm glad I am" he smiled and scratched his head. I sat back down and patted the spot next to me for him to sit down. 

We played round after round, each time Andy beat me. He always said after he each round,

"I'll go easy on you." 

He never did of course. 

Maybe it was because I just suck at chess? 

Or maybe it was him being amazing at it? 

I laid next to him in the attic and traced my finger over his tattoos. His eyes stared right into me, making me feel small. 

"What do your tattoos mean?" I asked, staring at them. 

"Anything your pretty little mind can think of." he kissed my temple .

"How come you never talk about your family?" I asked him. I felt him tense up next to me and I knew right away I shouldn't have asked that question.

"Bad memories.  I, uh, don't need to bring them up. Plus, I'm trying to enjoy your presence. You make me feel better, you make me want to be a better person." Andy said.

"Aren't you already a good person?"

"No, I did things. Things that people wouldn't dare to speak of." his face hardened and he sat up. 

"You can tell me." I gripped his hand and he shook his head.

"Andy, just tel-" he interrupts me.

"NO." he yelled out and I flinched.

"I can't, I just can't. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell.  You probably hate me now, don't you?" he laid his head between his knees and  stayed like for a bit.

"It's fine, Andy. I pushed too far. I shouldn't have done that. I should be the one saying sorry." he shook his head again.

"No, no, Danielle. You have no need to be sorry. You're perfect, wonderful human being who doesn't deserve any hate in this world. I yelled at you for no reason. Me, the person who loves you more than anything yelled at you and I feel terrible.. I-I.." he groaned and stood up. 

"I need to go for a minute, I'll be back." he murmured under his breath and started walking down the attic stairs. 

"Andy.. don't go."

"I'll be back, I promise."

He didn't come back that night.