Wake Me Up

Chapter Four: Wake Me Up- Avicii

Katelyn's POV

It was fifth period and I wasn't even sure what my teacher was talking about. I was in a daze; a moment mixed with both shock and bliss. Maybe I am pathetic, which was most likely the case, but I couldn't stop thinking of my brief encounter with Luke. The way his smile made his eyes look a little bluer and brighter, the way his dimples would appear making him look extremely adorable and child like. The way he said my name, making it sound much better than it actually was.

I needed to stop. He just introduced himself, I can't be daydreaming about him...or the way he nervously twisted his piercing, and how ran his hand through his blonde hair..or how his navy blue sweater fit snugly against his body, highlighting his toned arms.

No. Stop it. I mentally reprimanded myself. I shouldn't be thinking about him...it was a little creepy.

The bell finally rang, dismissing us for lunch. I followed the rushing crowd of students to the cafeteria, finding my friends already at the table. I quickly took a seat next to Taylor who was in a deep discussion with Ashton.

"What are you guys taking about?" I asked in honest curiosity. They always have the strangest conversations. I'll never understand them.

"Gatsby!" Taylor answered with a smile. Of course.

"Jesus, I can see you guys having word sex" I blurted out, not even caring what they thought.

"Katelyn! What does that even mean?" Taylor's cheeks were flushed in embarrassment, Ashton laughing at the absurdity of the conversation.

"I can just see the two of you getting all excited and turned on over quoting books, deep in conversation over the characters." I explained myself.

"We're not always like this. We have legitimate conversations." she defended.

"Really?" I asked not believing a word she said.

Taylor rolled her eyes and turned back to Ashton who was looking at her lovingly. He took her hand and kissed it, and the nerds went back to their conversation.

I looked away and scanned the lunchroom. Noticing how everyone had their designated areas. The popular kids at the large table by the window, the freshmen quietly sat in the back corner, the "goths" at the table next to them.

We didn't really have a place; none of us belonged to a stereotype. Yeah Taylor and Ashton were kind of nerdy, but they also knew how to have the most fun. Behind Ashton's glasses and books was an amazing drummer who played every chance he got. Taylor dreamed of being a psychologist, studying criminals and solving crimes.

Samantha was quiet and slightly awkward, but outside of school, away from the assholes that filled the halls, she was loud and opinionated. She never failed to surprise me with the words that came out of her mouth; Sam had no trouble speaking her mind.

Sawyer was a class A bitch. Her sweet face, big hazel eyes, and long brown hair masked the anger inside of her. She knew how to use her words, sometimes not for the best. Sawyer could kick anyone's ass, yet she had a sweet side that I don't think she liked to show. When I'd least expect it, she'd say the nicest of things, making me feel good about myself.

Kylee was a combination of all of us. She had sass and attitude written all over her. She wore what she wanted and didn't care what people had to say. Her blue eyes were always lined with bright colors, her blonde hair styled differently everyday. She was sweet and quiet, but didn't have trouble voicing her thoughts. Her boyfriend Calum and she had been dating for almost a year, always on and off. One minute they'd seem the happiest couple, and the next they'd be arguing. I almost felt bad for Calum, he was a nice guy who treated Kylee perfectly, yet was never able to make her happy.

I quickly snapped out of my thoughts as I realized where I was looking this entire time. Luke. How long had I been staring at him? Had he noticed? I turned my attention back to the table as everyone was listening to Kylee rant about the unfairness of the schools dress code.

"I don't understand it; it's a hat. I'm not hiding drugs under it. I'm writing a letter to the administration." She angrily declared.

"I don't see what the big deal is," Taylor turned and joined the conversation, "it's a cute hat and it's not like it's a distraction."

"What do you guys think of Luke?" I quietly asked, trying to seem like I didn't care.

"Hemmings? He's an ass. I don't know why he even bothered transferring, he's going to get kicked out of here like he did the last school." Sawyer stated.

"You don't know that, there just rumors." I defended him. I hate rumors, he seems like the polar opposite of what people are saying about him....then again I didn't even know him...

"Why do you care?"

"I don't, I was just wondering..."

Taylor looked at me curiously, I shook my head and mouthed that we'd talk later. She nodded in agreement and looked over my shoulder.

"Katelyn" she whispered to me, not wanting the other to hear.

"What?"

"Look over your shoulder."

I hesitantly followed her gaze, only to make eye contact at Luke who was looking directly at me.

He didn't even turn away when I met his stare. He simply smiled and turned back to Michael.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke's POV

"Dude what are you looking at?" Michael asked, slight annoyance in his voice.

"Nothing." I quickly turned back to him, hoping he didn't notice.

"Sure. Whatever. So that party last night was killer. You missed a good one. Sean got wasted and passed out on his lawn." He laughed, nudging Sean in the side, looked at him in disbelief.

"Sounds fun....When's the next one?" I asked, not really caring to hear the answer. I just wanted to let him think I did.

"Friday. You in?"

"I'll see what my parents are doing and get back to you." I'm not going.

I glanced back over at Katelyn, and noticed her tall friend looking at me. All of a sudden Katelyn looked over her shoulder. This time I didn't turn away from her stare, instead I gave her a quick smile.

The look on her face was priceless; she looked shocked. I turned back to Michael who was bitching about how shitty the school food was.
*****
The day seemed to drag by as the bell finally rang for seventh period English. I took a seat at the back of the class just a few behind Katelyn.

"Okay guys, we're going to try something new. I you and your partner, I've already picked them, to try and react the Iliad and all it's events, in 30 seconds....you'll have today in class to work on it and then you'll be presenting to the class tomorrow. Have fun with it!" the teacher began reading off the list of people.

"Jack and Sarah, Tim and Meghan, John and...." I waited for my name to be called, waiting for the awkward exchange to take place; I didn't know anyone in the class.

"Luke and Katelyn, you two will be working together."