Prologue, part one

*previously written: see one shots*

One shot: American Girls part one

Karlie Kloss strides effortlessly into the recording studio in New York City. Her black heels click with power along the slick floors as she makes her way to the back recording room.

A sly smirk is printed on her face and her emerald eyes present a challenge that no one can see behind her sunglasses. She heads to the back, her security trailing behind her, trying their best to keep up and keep every star struck employee away from her.

Finally, she reaches the studio doors but stops dead in her tracks, surprised to see the light outside is lit, reading "studio in session."

"What the fuck." Karlie huffs, pushing her sunglasses on top of her head and moving her long, perfectly straight blonde hair out of her face. She almost considers just walking in, seeing as she's supposed to be recording soon, yet just as she reaches for the handle, a familiar voice comes from behind her.

"Don't even think about it, Kloss."

A large smirk crosses the blondes face. She turns around and is face to face with her old friend.

"Derek Blasberg. What an honor to see the man who never returns my calls." Karlie laughs as her and Derek meet for an embrace.

He rolls his eyes, pulling away from the hug. "I don't know why you're so dramatic. You know I'm busy handling your work." He shoots back, clearly defensive over the way Karlie acts.

He always is.

Karlie laughs aloud, not caring that someone is in session right now. Especially since they're in her studio.

"You don't call me because you're over our friendship, no need to beat around the bush." Karlie says smoothly despite how much it actually hurts that she rarely hears from her old friend. Ever since she got into the entertainment industry as a singer a lot of things changed for her.

Mostly, her reputation.

Karlie is known as America's bad girl. According to the media and even the general public, Karlie does everything wrong.

She isn't a role model. She's the kind of girl who captures everyone's attention with her sharp features. She dances provocatively on stage, she makes out with whoever she wants to wherever she is, has openly dabbled with drugs and generally doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks about her.

And the public and media love it.

They all eat up everything that Karlie ever does. She's constantly trending and can't remember a time where she hasn't been talked about on pop culture channels.

She and Derek grew up together in St. Louis. They got into the industry together but obviously in separate ways. Derek got in and began management properties for different artists. Mainly he was focused on Karlie, but when she started acting the way she does, he very clearly backed off from her.

And so the best friends who grew up together and started this life together barley speak anymore.

Derek also asked to be removed from a majority of Karlie's projects and events. The record label told her that he had a few new artists to work on but she found out easily what the truth is.

And she doesn't care. She doesn't need anyone who doesn't need or accept her for who she is.

He stands awkwardly for a second, not even sure how he should respond to his old friend. Instead he looks around and then motions for Karlie to follow him down the hall a little bit and into a lounge area.