Chapter 6

Hazel wanted to put as much distance as she could between the Nazi and herself. The thought of his thundering voice and intense blue eyes made her shudder. She didn't want to go to see her parents, but she also didn't want to be in the same house with the beast she just saw. She pulled on her coat and took in deep breaths regaining her composure as she trudged through the freshly fallen snow.

"Hello Hazel," said Mrs. Rosenzweig with a smile as Hazel stepped through the front door.

Hazel nodded at her mother's kind eyes and sat down at the table. She kept her eyes downcast and as calm as possible as plates were passed around. She took her time eating and listened to the small talk conversations being discussed among everyone around the table. Hans took Marylin to the living room to play with her toys when they were excused after eating. Hazel knew it was a matter of time before Mark was brought up.

"Is the Nazi still in your house?" asked Mr. Rosenzweig.

"Yes," responded Hazel keeping her eyes on her clenched hands in her lap.

"Why haven't you gotten rid of him?"

"He's still recovering. He can barely move."

"I don't care. He's a Nazi!"

"Papa, I'm nineteen and able to make my decisions."

Aunt Karoline grunted and said, "Doesn't seem like good ones."

"Hazel, I want him out," persisted Mr. Rosenzweig.

"When he gets better, I will get rid of him."

Hazel cringed at the words she just used. It was as if he was an unwanted kitten instead of a wounded man. Her father's sharp words snapped her back into reality.

"Get rid of him now!"

"He's too weak."

"Get rid of him!"

"You listen to your father you silly child," barked Aunt Karoline.

"I'm not a child."

"You're acting like one, and your decisions are proving it."

"Karoline," scolded Mrs. Rosenzweig.

"What?"

"This is me and my husband's child, not yours."

Hazel looked at her mother and was pleased she made Aunt Karoline flustered.

"I think it's about time I go home," said Hazel, standing up.

"I'll walk you home," said Uncle Trevor.

Hazel followed Uncle Trevor to the front door as she put on her coat. As they stepped into the frigid air, Uncle Trevor quickly turned to Hazel as he shut the door behind them.

"Don't mind your father or my wife. They just want it their way."

Hazel was stunned. She was not expecting her uncle, as kind as he was, to take her side.

"You don't think I'm doing something wrong?"

Trevor led her down the path to her cottage before answering. "I believe that it's a courageous thing you're doing. Just be careful."

Hazel nodded in understanding. She knew that all too well as her mind came back to the crushing hold Mark had on her wrist earlier.

"When I was wounded, I recovered in the enemy's home," continued Uncle Trevor.