happy birthday bokuto !!

bokuto had on two silly party hats-- one for each tall spike in his hair. he was grinning so wide akaashi was worried the smile might fall off his face, or he might hurt his face muscles, or something.

​but despite his worries, all akaashi could do was smile as bokuto enjoyed his birthday, like he deserved.

akaashi always admired how ​happy he was able to be-- he admired the way he lit up everyone's day just by being there, and he wanted to show that he appreciated him more than anyone else, but, he was really bad with symbolism. he fiddled with the two present packages like the business of his hands would drown all his anxiety.

​his thoughts were interrupted, though, when he heard the infamous, "akaaaaashi!!" from across the room. akaashi smirked, shook his head a little, and walked over to bokuto and kuroo across his livingroom.

akaashi really didnt have any idea why he was invited to this party-- they had only met at the beginning of the school year, and akaashi was just his setter. that was it.

"akaashi, akaashi, did you have any cake? apparently kenma helped make it!! he actually got out of his video games to do something for me, isnt that great??" kuroo laughed a little, giving akaashi a little pat on the back.

"seriously, try it. you look hungry."

"someone else probably wants it more than me, it's okay," akaashi gave a small smile and turned to his ace. "you didn't have too much cake, did you?"

bokuto hesitated, and akaashi shook his head again. "never mind, i feel like i don't want to know anymore."

the owl-haired boy's hesitation turned to an easy smile, and akaashi pushed down his anxiousness and asked, "hey, bokuto-san?"

"hmm?"

"can i give you my present now?"

"ooooooh!" kuroo called behind them. the few people in the room (konoha, kenma, komi, and hinata, somehow) turned to look, and akaashi felt his cheeks heat up. "stop it, kuroo-san, i'm just not sure if he'll like it or not."

"what is it?"

"well, first there's this..."

akaashi took his hands behind his back, pulling out the larger bundle of messy wrapping paper. "sorry, i'm really bad a wrapping stuff--"

"that's so cool, you actually have flaws!"

"i- huh?"

"whOA!" akaashi wasn't surprised that bokuto tore the package open immediately, but he was quite shocked at the reaction. his eyes lit up like christmas decorations and akaashi was overjoyed. "for me?"

it was just a t-shirt. a t-shirt with owl designs on it, and "hoot hoot, you're cute!" written in big, slanted letters. but somehow, bokuto was touched almost to tears. "of course it's for you, silly. there's another thing, too."

here came the smaller package. it wasnt even wrapped- it fit easily in his hands and it was a giftcard to a simple, sweet restaurant nearby. akaashi knew bokuto loved food, and he was panicking at the little ideas he had for presents, but bokuto grinned so hard.

"thank you!! thank you thank you thank you!! you're the best, akaashi!!"

kuroo muttered a "rude" from behind them, but akaashi was launched into space from shock.

"hey hey, you know what would be great too?"

"hmm?"

"y- you should come to the restaurant with me! as- like- like a birthday present, y'know?"

he was blushing- it was the best thing akaashi has ever seen.

"are you asking him out or something?"

"kuroo--!"