✧ Reaquainted {Part 3} ✧

A/N: Finally wrote the last part to the short story! I'm sorry it took so long, school started a couple weeks ago and I've been really busy. Anywayyys, enjoy!

-

The party was still going strong as the exes filed back into the room. Maya quickly ran up to them, her drink filled to the rim.

"Hope you're pacing yourself Maya." Riley joked, though a hint of concern was laced into her words. Maya's never been a heavy drinker, but she's known for getting carried away at parties. The blonde rolled her eyes as she dumped over half of its content into the nearest trash can.

"Charlie offered to buy me another drink, but he told the bartender to fill it all the way as a joke. As if I'd find that funny." She scoffed.

"You knew he was just being an ass Maya. Why would you accept his offer in the first place?" She shrugged, a light smile on her face. "Free alcohol?" Riley couldn't help but laugh as she shook her head. It wasn't until then that Maya noticed not only Lucas had followed her back in, but they were currently holding hands.

"What exactly happened between you two in that hallway? Getting a little frisky?" She asked, gesturing towards their linked hands. Riley glanced over at Lucas, almost forgetting they were touching at all, a blush creeping up on her cheeks. "I'm trying to let Charlie down easy. So I'm going to say Lucas and I got back together."

Maya furrowed her brows, her teasing manner replaced with a puzzled expression. "And Huckleberry's cool with this?" Riley bit her lip as her eyes met his emeralds ones. "I think he's more than ok with it." The blonde glanced between the two of them before shrugging and heading back over to the group. Lucas was about to follow until Riley's grip tightened and she pulled him back.

"Are you sure you're ready to do this? You know how Charlie can be." The Texas man gave her a smile before placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I'm more then ready to be your boyfriend again for a night."

The brunette blushed, almost wanting to tack on the reminder that this was all fake, but she decided to keep her mouth shut.

"Riley, Lucas! Over here!" Farkle called, waving the couple over. As they approached the group, Riley could feel Charlie's eyes looking at her, only to drift down towards their hands. "Friar. Didn't realize you were back in town." He said, crossing his arms.

"Just got back a few days ago." Charlie nodded, his gaze shifting back to his hand, intertwined with Riley's.

"Are you two back together?"

Riley gulped, knowing just how much of a terrible liar she was. Luckily, Lucas had always been cool under pressure. "Yes, we are. Riley and I rekindled our romance the night I came back to town." Farkle's eyes widened, very curious as to how that could've happened. It had taken Riley years to get over Lucas. There's no way she would've gotten back together with him that easily.

"I don't think that's a very wise decision Riley. Remember all the nights you had come crying to me because of this jackass? Keep in mind that I was the one who always offered you a shoulder." Lucas could feel his heart slightly break at his words, not to mention the pent up anger he suddenly felt towards Charlie. The love of his life, crying in the arms of another man because of him. He shook his head, hoping to get rid of the image.

"That's right Friar. How many times have you screwed her over? People only get so many chances. I know Riley would give you a million chances, but even you have to know by now that she deserves better." Charlie sneered.

Riley decided it was time to step in, knowing fully well things would spiral out of control if she didn't speak up. "Charlie, I understand that you want to protect me, but my relationship with Lucas is between me and him. Sure, we still have some issues to work out, but our breakup wasn't all his fault. I'm partially to blame for not fighting harder for us. The point is, he is the man I have, and will, always love. What you and I had was great, but I can't keep leading you on. You don't deserve that. If you really care for me, you'll respect that and let me go."

The brunette felt like her lungs were about to collapse. Charlie stared at her, his mouth gaped as he tried to comprehend her words.

"Riley..." He started, but was quickly cut off.

"Please Charlie. It's over." Riley said softly. The man ran a hand through his hair, slowly nodding. "Fine. I'll back off. But remember, if you ever need someone, I'll always be there for you." Riley smiled as he leaned in to give her a hug. Grabbing his beer, Charlie shot Lucas one last icy glare before stalking off.

"You did it Riles!" Maya shouted, throwing her arms around her best friend. Riley let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding, finally feeling like she could relax.

"Now, just one more thing I have to take care of." She muttered before grabbing Lucas's hand and dragging him into the hallway once again.

"I'm getting this strange feeling of deja vu." Lucas joked as he allowed her to pull him along. "Lucas, I don't know what's going to happen, but we need to figure all of this out so I can finally get some closure for once in my life." Riley sighed, turning to face him.

"You mentioned something when you were confronting Charlie back there. How you thought that it was partially your fault that our relationship crumbled. But you're wrong. We're both at fault for not fighting harder." Riley was about to protest, but Lucas grabbed her hand and held it to his chest.

"I'm not leaving you again Princess. It was hard enough doing it the first time, and it will always be the biggest mistake I ever made. I know I don't deserve it but please, give me another chance." The pain dripping from his words almost made Riley cave, but she was too stubborn to give up just yet.

"Six years ago, I would've believed you in a heart beat. But after everything that's happened, I just don't know if I can trust you Lucas. I'm afraid there's too much damage to fix this time."

The Texan man slowly felt his hope fading. After all these years, he still knew her like the back of his hand. She was scared, and he couldn't blame her for feeling that way. The real pain was the fact that he caused it. Lucas had to get her to believe him.

Riley thought he was about to give up, seeing as he hadn't said anything for two minutes. A small gasp escaped her lips as Lucas gently backed her up against the wall, placing one hand on her waist while the other hand landed on the wall beside her head. "I'm back for good. I understand if it might take you some time to trust me again, but I will fight for you, for us, because I firmly believe that this was fate that brought us together here tonight. We can start off just as friends, or something more, I don't care. But I need you in my life Riley Matthews. I'm not giving up this time."

Her mind was screaming at her to end things between them for good, knowing she was probably just setting herself up for another disaster. But her heart, sensibility, was all she could focus on right now. Lucas might've made some mistakes in the past, but there had to be a reason that they kept coming back to each other. That's not a simple coincidence, right?

Taking a deep breath, still trapped between the wall and Lucas's body, Riley hesitantly nodded. "You're right. I still might not understand a lot of the world, but you and me? That's something that will always make sense."

Lucas couldn't even begin to explain how happy he was feeling in that exact moment. He was getting a second chance at making things right with the woman that will always have his heart. Getting a little too excited, his lips crashed against hers, his arms tightly wrapping around her waist. Riley kissed him back for a minute, but was the first one to pull away, biting her lip at Lucas's dilated pupils. All she could think about in that moment was how much she wanted him, but she knew they had to act carefully on this.

"Let's...take this slow. Have it progress from there." Riley mumbled, the close proximity making her brain all hazy. Lucas quickly nodded, not wanting to push her. The last thing they needed was doing something they'd both regret later.

"Slow...got it. You get to decide the pace babe. I would never push you to do something you didn't want to do." On that note, he carefully leaned back in and gave her a soft, sensual kiss, leaving Riley feeling breathless and tingly everywhere. Her toes curled in anticipation to his touch, needing to feel more of him. She quickly shook her head, her arms locking around his neck.

"Ok...maybe not that slow." Riley muttered as she fused their lips back together.