October 14th

Looks like I have to go to the Halloween dance. Kevin wants to go, he’s never been to one before, and I can’t trust him to go by himself. God only knows what he’d say or do. He’s enough of an outcast as it is. Yesterday we crossed another two locations off our list of places Kevin’s cousin might be. We only have six left and I have a feeling we’ll be able to finish those this weekend. After that…I have no idea what we’ll do.

            Leah tossed her diary onto Ms. Wright’s desk and joined Kevin at the end of the stream of students heading into the hall. With every class only half as long, she was looking forward to a relaxing afternoon while most of the rest of the school went to the football game. Two dollars for a ticket she’d never use was well worth the temporary freedom.

            “What is the protocol for this event?” Kevin asked as they reached their lockers.

            She froze for a moment then turned to stare at him. “You’re not actually thinking about going, are you?”

            He cocked his head. “Is that not why our studies for the day have been shortened? I would also like to experience this…football. We do not have an equivalent.”

            Leah sighed. So much for her free afternoon. Then she heard a voice say, “There you are.”

            She turned at the same time Kevin did to stare at the newcomers. Sam grinned at them. “No escaping this time Moore. You bought your ticket and you’re actually going to go to a football game for once. We’re going to make sure of it.”

            Joel nodded, also smiling. “We’ve got good seats already. Mora’s saving them for us.”

            Kevin frowned and opened his mouth before shutting it with a snap a whirling in place to face the stairs. Leah moved a moment later, pulling out her vambraces and kicking her locker shut before moving up beside Kevin. “Where?”

            His eyes were trained on the floor a few feet in front of him, the pupils the now familiar thin slits. “Below but… there is something odd about the signature. It is weak, as if the individual is attempting to hide itself.”

            Sam took a step towards them, one hand outstretched, then his eyes fell on Joel and he winced. “C’mon man, let’s go. I think they’re going to be a bit late.”

            Joel frowned. “I don’t get it. What’re they talking about?”

            The boy flicked his green eyes upwards for a moment as he thought quickly. “It’s a game they’re playing. It’s a kind of hide and seek/capture the flag thing but with people from the internet. We haven’t joined so we’ll have to leave. They’ll join us when they’re done. Now c’mon. Mora’s going to be wondering what happened to us.”

            His friend looked at him then shrugged. “You’re probably right.”

            Sam nodded and led Joel down the far stairs, glancing back at Kevin and Leah only once. They didn’t notice, their concentration still on the staircase in front of them. “What do you think we should do? Confront them or try and spy on them?”

            Kevin frowned. “I do not know. The feeling I get from the magic I can sense…I believe they are aware of my position. I fear that if I were to move, they would escape.”

            She nodded. “Then I’ll go. You stay here and if I need you, I’ll yell. It’s not like there’s anyone still here to see or hear us.”

            “I do not like you approaching alone. It could be very dangerous for you,” he said, turning to face her.

            Leah smiled. “I’ll be fine. It’s not like it’ll be my first time fighting a dragon. And maybe we’ll get lucky and this one’s on our side.” She didn’t wait for him to agree or continue to argue with her but darted down the stairs, leaving him to stare after her.

            Once she reached the first floor, she moved quietly while still trying to act natural. Try being the operative word because anyone who saw her flickering gaze would know she was anything but relaxed. Her hands stiff at her sides, she padded by the purple lockers and empty white hall. At the end, she peered cautiously around the corner.

            She was glad she had because not more than fifteen feet in front of her was the intruder. She knew it was him, because no one normal would be kneeling on the ground with a chunk of ice in their hand, drawing symbols on the floor with it. She felt the hair on her arms lift, a sign she was beginning to think meant magic was happening nearby.

            Leah hesitated, unsure of what the best action to take would be. Then she shrugged, realizing the only option besides stopping him was running back to Kevin. And she didn’t want really like that idea. With her mind made up, she stepped around the corner, bringing her arms up into an easy defensive stance.

            She’d only just opened her mouth when the man’s head snapped up and he stared at her, the ice in his hand hanging there, whole and without a drop of melting water on it. Then he threw his hand up, sketching rapid designs in the air with the ice while he hissed something she couldn’t understand.

            She jumped forward to stop him, yelling “Kevin” as she moved. Before she could reach him, he disappeared with a faint popping noise. Behind her, she could hear the crashing sound of Kevin jumping down the stairs. It was only a moment later that he was beside her. “What happened?”

            Leah sighed. “He was doing magic of some sort and when I came out to stop him, he disappeared. It looked like he was drawing something on the floor with ice.”

            Kevin frowned and knelt, one hand hovering over the ground as if trying to sense something. After a moment he stood again and nodded. “I am not certain what type of spell he wished to perform, but the wards I have put in place appear to have slowed him before you stopped him. Thank you.”

            She shrugged. “No big deal. Just doing my bit as your partner.” The thought of partners made her realize something. “Hey Kevin, why is it that we only ever get the male dragons. I mean, the Ehesh male dragons. Wouldn’t it make more sense to send some of the women if they’re the ones in charge?”

            He shook his head. “It is for that very reason that I imagine they have not. As long as none of their females are present, they can deny any knowledge of the conspiracy.”

            “They’re slippery as well as vicious. I’ll keep that in mind. Now what?”

            Kevin turned to look at her, his eyes serious as a faint frown pulled the corners of his mouth down. “I believe now we must head to the field. This football will soon be over, will it not?”

            Leah rolled her eyes. “Alright. We’ll go see the stupid football game.”