Hanamaru x protective!senpai!reader

A/N: Here's the next one~ You know you guys can request some right? Please do! Don't be shy! I think it'd be easier for me, if you guys want to see more, that you sent some requests (preferably on the request page, but yeah) plus it'd be more interesting in my opinion.

Anyways, on to the story~~

You've known Hanamaru for a few years now after meeting her sometime in middle school and you were glad to say that you were very good friends with her despite being a grade ahead. You had met her in the library after noticing her struggling to grab a book that was just a shelf out of her reach. Since then, you've hung around her in the library during lunch.

Of course, because you began to hang around her a lot, you learned that she was often teased for her lack of knowledge on more 'modern' things. You also learned that there were a few bullies in the past from Ruby who, despite being generally terrified of many things, defended Hanamaru while crying herself. After learning all that, you took it upon yourself to make sure no one would bully her or Ruby since Ruby was best friends with Hanamaru.

You wouldn't call yourself protective exactly, but you suppose that you've become pretty distrusting of people in regards to your two kouhai so much so that people have commented on your 'scary face' when someone even thinks about saying, or doing, anything mean-spirited to them. Dia seems pretty appreciative of that side of you, though.

So here you are, alone with Hanamaru in the library since Ruby had to help her sister.

You can't say you loved books and reading as much as Hanamaru, or Maru-chan as you've begun to call her, but you did love the calm atmosphere of the library, plus being around Maru-chan was relaxing for you.

Lately though, you've been feeling more anxious and overall just weird around her, much to your dismay.

"(Y/n)-senpai?"

Maybe it's because now that you're both in high school you've noticed both the obvious and subtle changes about her.

"Senpai?"

You end up flushing a little at those thoughts. It shouldn't matter so much, everyone grows up. You did to after all, right? But you figure she's a different case. After all, to you she's...

"Senpai!!" You feel someone grab both of your cheeks. You blink and realize you're face to face with a pouting Hanamaru. Of course, you also realize that her face is way too close and that her eyes are a rather vibrant gold. And is that incense and mikans you smell?

"M-m-maru-chan?!" You feel yourself blushing. She let's go once she's sure she has your attention and continues pouting. However you pull back at the same time and nearly fall over in your chair. Smooth.

"Geez, you're not paying any attention at all, zura. I asked if you could help me grab a book off the shelf." She points over to the bookcase behind you at what appeared to be a worn brown book with faded lettering on its spine.

"Ah. Uh, yeah sure Maru-chan. Sorry." You sheepishly rub the back of your head as you stand and make your way over to the book she was pointing at. "This one, right?"

"Yeah! That one zura." You grab it and pull it out. You look at the cover for a second before handing it to her.

"Having trouble in math? Or is this pleasure reading again?" You make your way back to where you were sitting as she decides to sit in front of you.

"All reading is pleasure reading zura~ This one's also for class, though. Maru's not too good with math, zuraaaa..." she deflates before you, resting her head on the table with her arms outstretched. You giggle at how cute she looks and reach over to pet the top of her head. You notice how soft her hair is and smile.