Chapter 30

It was another dull and cloudy day, which Jamie thought was perfect. Because it meant he could go outside without the fear of ending up bedridden for two weeks.

He walked towards the old redbrick building that was the high school, thinking as he jumped up the steps about what to say when he found her. Ideally, he'd simply give Sam her necklace and she'd be so happy she'd swoon and fall in love with him and want to be with him forever.

Except that wouldn't happen because Jamie had forgotten to bring Sam's necklace with him.

Alright . . . that was a lie.

He had purposely left her necklace at home. Just in case she wouldn't speak to him today. After all, she had told him to stay away from her. Well, technically she had. It still confused him to think about what really happened.

Either way, if she wouldn't speak to him today, he had an excuse to come back and see her tomorrow.

He had chosen to wake up early and go to the school to speak with her. Thinking she would be more comfortable around him if they were both in a public place. And if he went to her house she'd wonder how he knew where she lived, which would most likely lead to an awkward conversation that he didn't want to have and maybe end up with her calling the police on him.

Jamie walked through the doors into the school which was filled with students, all talking and laughing and walking about. There had to have been at least four-hundred people in the building, which made finding Sam very difficult.

A group of students walked through the doors behind Jamie. He only looked at them for a second, before he moved forward and stopped one of them. "Excuse me," he said to a boy with brown hair.

The boy looked at him curiously, and Jamie knew by the expression he wore that he was trying to figure out who he was and what he was doing here. "Hello," the boy said politely. "I'm Scott, are you new?"

Jamie shook his head. "No, actually, I'm just looking for someone. I was wondering if you could help."

Scott gave him a friendly smile, which made Jamie feel that he had picked a good person to ask. "Sure," he said. "Who are you looking for?"

"It's a girl named Samantha Jacobs."

The smile disappeared from the boy's face almost immediately, he eyed Jamie suspiciously. "Why are you looking for her?"

The air surrounding Scott suddenly became very heavy and stale; Jamie could sense some very unpleasant emotions emanating from him. He was upset and angry because Jamie was looking for Sam. Which made Jamie think that either Scott hated Sam, or hated the idea that someone was looking for her.

Maybe he hadn't picked the right person after all.

"Uh," Jamie thought quickly. The necklace. " . . . I found something of hers and I need to return it."

"You can give it to me," Scott said, holding his hand out, his body language giving the impression that he didn't want Jamie anywhere near Sam. "I'll make sure she gets it."

"That's okay," Jamie said, eyeing him with suspicion. "I'd rather give it to her myself."

Scott gave him a glare, making it obvious that he didn't feel like being friendly anymore. Despite the fact that he was watching Jamie in an unpleasant way he pointed to the end of the hallway. "Go right, her locker's at the end." Then he stormed away before Jamie had a chance to say thank you.

Jamie walked to the end of the hall, then turned right. The hallway was crowded with students, all walking or rummaging through their lockers. He spent a few moments scanning the crowd, standing on his toes so he could see over everyone. He spotted Sam's white-blonde head at a locker near the end of the hall. He moved towards her, pushing his way through the throng of humans. "Sam," he said as he approached her.

She turned to look at him. He could tell by her expression that she wasn't pleased to see him.

"What do you want?" she asked, as she closed her locker door.

"I want to talk to you," Jamie said.

"About?" she asked, seeming as though she was making an attempt to keep the conversation to a bare minimum.

Jamie hesitated for a moment. There were so many things he wanted to say to her and so many questions he needed to ask, and yet right there and then, he couldn't think of a single word. Sam looked at him impatiently, her hand on her hip. He just shrugged and said, "Want to go out some time?"

Sam rolled her eyes and turned away from him, hurrying down the hall. Jamie stood there for a moment feeling frustrated by the fact that she was ignoring him, especially since he had saved her life only two days ago. How could she be so ungrateful? She could just say no. She didn't have to ignore him.

Sam disappeared into a classroom. Jamie followed her. The teacher looked up at him in confusion, as did all of the students in that class.

"Are you Elliot?" the teacher asked as she looked at him.

Jamie gazed at the woman, then at the twenty seven students in the room. Realising that he should have better shielded himself before walking into a school he had no reason to be inside of.

He hadn't thought this through.

With one last glance at all of the faces in the room, he sent out a wave of Power. <I am not here> he said. <Pay no attention to me> One by one all of the students, as well as the teacher, looked away. All except for Sam, who kept a steady gaze on him every moment he stood in the doorway.

Jamie sent a current of energy directly into Sam's mind. <You don't see me> he said. <Look away>

She didn't.

Her gaze didn't falter in the slightest.

Jamie saw a trace of a smile at the corners of her lips. He tried again, this time saying something different. <At four o'clock call this number> He put his phone number into her head. <You want to talk to me>

Sam looked down at her notebook and started writing. She must be writing the number down so she won't forget, Jamie thought triumphantly and turned to leave the room, when Sam held her notebook up for him to see what she had written.

In big black letters across the page, were the words;

I'M IMPERVIOUS TO VAMPIRES

YOUR POWERS WON'T WORK ON ME

Jamie stared open-mouthed at Sam as she placed her notebook back on the desk.

Quickly, he backed out of the classroom and frantically looked around the hallway at the students that were wandering into classrooms. Had she told people? Did they all know? Surely if she found out there was a Vampire in town she would have told someone. Jamie left the school in a hurry, convinced that there had to be at least one other person in the town who knew his secret.

And wondered if they believed her, knowing that if one person believed it, it was only a matter of time before rumours began to spread, especially in a town so small.

Someone would come for him. It was only a matter of time.

He had to find out who she'd told, and the only way to do that was to confront her. His influencing Power didn't work on her, so what else could he do? Scare the information out of her?

She hadn't seemed very fearful of him as she'd held her accusation for him to see. If anything, she'd seemed amused.

Jamie wandered out of the school in a daze, thinking that he would have to leave town. It was the only way to keep his secret.