Chapter 11

My knuckles were stinging with a sharp satisfying pain.

After I had punched Blondie square across his jaw, watching him stumble back and groan in pain was the most pleasing sound I had heard in a while. I shook my hand by the wrist to numb the pain and observed the two of them looking back at me quite taken by my courageous outburst. Courageous? Pfft. More like stupid.

But it was sooo worth it.

There was a light bruise on Blondies left cheek that was already beginning to vanish. Oeric, cocked an eyebrow, his expression a mix of amused confusion. Blondie just nodded to himself and said, "I deserved that."

"So long as you know." I brushed my hands against my skirt then crossed my arms over my chest, taking a deep breath as I turned to Oeric. "So! You're a king. When did that happen?"

He frowned, confused by the accusing tone in my voice. "I don't understand why that would make you unhappy?"

I let out a frustrated breath. Why does he have to be so clueless? Did he think I would make a crown of flowers and place it over his head in utter gratitude? This man in front of me was the ruler of an entire underwater kingdom. How could I not find that surprising?

"No. But it would help if you'd told me that sooner," I sighed. I'm just being bombarded with one shock after another. Just how much do they think I can take before I loose my mind.

"If you think he understands what difference that would make, you'd be sorely disappointed," Blondie spoke as he glided to the polished gold vase by the stairs to assess his reflection on it. He probed his cheek and craned his neck to see if a bruise was left. "He's about as oblivious as a sponge sinking to the bottom of the ocean."

We ignored him and Oeric raked a hand through his hair. "You're right. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."

I smiled. At least he knows when to admit his mistakes.

Someone laughed and both of us turned to look at him. "Look at you all tamed and submissive. How you make me proud." Blondie addressed his King with little care for etiquette.

Oeric cracked his knuckles, "Looks like you didn't punch him hard enough."

"How careless of me," I deadpanned.

Blondie hastily clapped both his hands together and spoke, "Seeing that you two have some catching up to do, I should take my leave now. Don't do anything inappropriate, kids."

I rolled my eyes.

Oeric gave him a blank stare and said, "Get out."

"Your wish is my command," he curtsied and left the two of us through the door we had entered. But before he had the guards close the doors behind him, I called out, "Wait!"

He paused and turned around to look at me with one eye brow raised. "Miss me already?"

I scoffed. "You never told me your name."

He grinned. "That's because you never asked, little beast."

"Tell me." I should at least know the name of the person I would curse at night before I go to sleep.

"You can call me Kyrie. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

I frowned, "That makes one of us."

He smiled before turning around saying, "I hope you don't mean that. I would be very hurt if you did." And the doors finally closed.

I shivered. His voice had suddenly dropped a pitch and I felt the water around me turn cold. I instinctively rubbed my arms to bring some warmth back to them as I stared at the now closed doors through which he just left.