08

You can play the music right now

After Jakes body fell, everything seemed to move too fast for me to process.
The school was put into a lockdown, nobody could leave, and nobody could enter.
All of the students except Brooke and I were moved to the library.

Emma's mom has been taking pictures of Brooke and I for the investigation, while we both stood completely still.
Someone grabbed my hand, causing me to look down.
Maggie gave me a small smile, before flipping my hand over so she can take a picture of the blood.

She moved on to Brooke, finishing taking pictures of her.
I raised my hand up and looked at it, twisting it around and looking at the blood.
My eyes drifted down to Jakes body, that was still laying in front of us, waiting to be put in a bag, and taken to the morgue.

My favorite memories of things Jake and I did together started flashing in my head, and I thought of one specific one.
It was last year, Jake took me on a date, and we ordered a pasta dinner.
He accidentally flicked his fork, and got spaghetti sauce all over my white dress.
His jaw dropped, meanwhile I was about dying of laughter.
We had a small food fight with the spaghetti, and ended up getting kicked out of the restaurant and banned from it.

The memory faded away, and Maggie was standing in front of me, talking to Emma and Audrey.
I slowly turned my head to look at them, and Audrey looked down after looking at me, wiping her eyes.

I looked back down and they continued talking, I was staring at Jakes body.

Someone grabbed my arm lightly, and I looked up to see a deputy.

"You can shower, get some better clothes on, and we can give you an empty classroom to sit in instead of the library." He said.

I nodded, and he led me to the bathrooms, where Audrey and Brooke  already were.
Audrey looked up at me, and gave me a sad expression.

"Summer oh my god, I'm so sorry." Audrey said to me.
I nodded my head, thanking her and walked to the showers.

I took my time in the shower, watching as my boyfriends blood rinsed off of my skin, nearly making me sick in the process.

After showering, I walked out in a towel, and Audrey walked over to a bench, grabbing a bag and handing it to me.
"Those are some clothes they gave me to give you." She said.
I turned back and went to go change.

When I pulled out the clothes, I noticed there was a pair of black leggings and a Burgundy jacket.
They were the clothes I left in my locker.
I pulled them on, and walked back out to where Audrey was standing, but she wasn't there, and a deputy was.

"I can take you to a empty classroom." She said.
I followed her to a classroom, and sat down at a desk.
"Can I get you anything?" She asked, and I shook my head.
"Your mom is on the way."

I pulled out my phone and went to my gallery, looking through the pictures of Jake and I.
I felt tears streaming down my face.
The deputy walked down the aisle and sat at the desk in front of me.

"I'm sorry sweetie. We'll find out who did this." She rubbed my shoulder.
I looked up at her with watery eyes.
"Wanna know what hurts the most?" I said, my voice was cracking uncontrollably.
"What honey?" The deputy asked.
"We were on a date. On the roof of the school, watching the stars. We were happy, and smiling. That was the last time I seen him. Then he turns up dead, and I can't help but feel bad because I didn't do anything. I knew something was wrong. I should've done something." A choked sob escaped my throat.

The deputy who's name tag I finally read to find out her name is Sandra, pulled me into her arms.
The doorknob clicked, and the door opened.
My mom walked into the room, and Sandra left.

"Mom" I said, standing up.
"Summer, baby. I'm so sorry" my mom rushed over to me, her heels clicking against the tiles, and pulled me I to her arms.
And since the moment Jakes body fell, I felt pain. Emotional pain. Jake being gone still hadn't processed through my head, but when my mom hugged me it fully processed and I broke down in my moms arms.

It was hard to breathe because of how I hard I was crying. My lungs ached from the lack of oxygen, and my knees gave out.
I fell to the floor, still in my moms arms, still crying.

"Everyone I care about dies" I sobbed into my moms arms.
She stroked my hair, and rubbed my back.
"Why Jake mom? He never did anything. He didn't deserve this." I started crying harder. "I wish this were a dream" I sobbed.

***

After going through questioning, and the school lockdown was lifted, I was aloud to leave.
On the way out, I ran into my friends, who all hugged me.
Eli kissed my cheek, and they all left.

"Look at her. She's a mess." I herd Hayley's voice say.
My mom grabbed my arm as I turned around.
I only looked at Hayley, tears still streaking my face, and turned back around, following my mom out of the school.

I was silent in the car, and my mom only stopped at a food place to get dinner for herself, because I'm not in the mood to eat.
The whole car ride I stared out the windshield, and I felt numb.

When we got home, I went straight upstairs, and to my room, climbing into my bed.
I got up and walked over to a DVD shelf in my room, looking for the DVD named J&S, and popping it into my DVD player.

Videos and pictures of Jake and I popped up on my TV screen, with Purpose by Justin Beiber in the background.

For the rest of the day, I sat replaying the video, and laying in bed, wishing I had the chance to feel Jakes arms wrapped around me one more time.