Chapter 14: The Marriage Bed

In the final resting place for departed souls where bodiless ghosts flitted across the dark Fields of Asphodel, joy flowed over the gray land and the valleys. The Underworld held high festivals, and the ghosts amused themselves at the nuptial feast. A joyous banquet and singular songs broke the gloomy silence since the wailing and moaning were hushed for once.

No longer was Sisyphus's stone rolling downhill, nor the water and fruit withdrawn from Tantalus' lips. Charon crowned his uncombed locks with sedge, and he sang as he worked his weightless oars over the great Styx. By the Gate of Hell, the three-headed beast, Cerberus, indulged himself with some nice juicy bones. Even the vicious Furies with all their snaky hair made ready their wine-bowls and drank themselves forgetful of crimes and dread wrath.

After the celebration was over, the palace maids hastened to assist their holy mistresses. Some held back the curtains of the doorway. The chamber was decorated with crocus, violet, iris, and lily blooms like a springtime meadow. They had also fastened the branches of white cypress and embroidered hangings in the bridal chamber. In chaste bands, the matrons of Elysium honored their new queen with songs before the newlywed goddesses went to their secluded room.

Through the open windows, the breeze from the five rivers carried the sound of hissing waves dashed against the thirsty black shore. Inside the chamber, a bronze brazier burned away with its brilliant flames. The flower-scented space was finely lit like a dream. Their marriage bed was neatly made for them with red petals of roses laid beautifully.

With genial and kindly fashion, Hades induced her young wife to sit on a soft cushioned seat beside herself.

The two deities then proceeded to drink the sweet nectar from their golden cups and enjoyed a rich repast befitting their godly status. It was quiet after the ceremony; nevertheless, Hades's heart kept marveling over the joys of this wedlock, for without her Persephone, all she could foresee was the eternal gloom of her world and the never-ceasing despair of her heart.

With her coal-black eyes gazing so tenderly at her young beautiful bride, the stern goddess felt her insides grow warm with love like the sun's fierce heat over the dead winter. Just the sight of the maiden in her wedding dress and queenly crown for the first time was enough to reign over Hades's steely heart forever.

The dark goddess brought her long slender fingers to trace that lovely sweet cheek, causing a glowing blush to mantle Persephone's clear face. With a mounting passion suffused her own fair countenance, Hades could not have enough of her. The goddess leaned forward and planted her cold wet lips upon the maiden's forehead. Persephone shivered from the effect and blushed harder, but this very gesture, the dark goddess sent her a wordless pledge that as long as she was known as her wife, Persephone would always be protected and valued above all things.

It wasn't so long ago when Persephone was only the child of the corn-bearing goddess. Until the day, she was burned with a fierce desire to gather flowers and so filled with the spoil of the blooming fields that everything changed. The day Hades watched surreptitiously from her dark realm as the young girl skipped with her flashing ankles and her garlands of flowers, it was set that their fates must mingle together.

Now, Persephone was made the third realm's queen. Her words would be laws and her tears could master even that unbending Goddess of the Dead. Unmistakably so during their marriage vow, Hades, the Lady of Avernus, promised her bride no small things, "A prouder scepter shall be yours, my darling Persephone, for I am the goddess, who rules the framework of the universe, and whose power stretches through the limitless void. This is my true oath by the holy Styx. Think not you have lost the light of day as other stars are yours and a purer light shall you see under Elysium's sun. There is, too, a precious tree in the leafy groves whose curving branches gleam with living ore - a tree consecrated to you. O Persephone, you are the queen of blessed spring. Whatever the sparkling heaven embraces, whatever earth nourishes, the seas sweep, the rivers roll, and the marsh-lands feed, all living things alike that journey from the mortal world to the land of death shall yield themselves to you. All - I say - that dwell beneath the orb of the moon and the seventh planet shall bow to your feet. You will give doom to the guilty and rest to the virtuous. Before your judgment-throne and mine, the wicked must confess the crimes of their evil lives. May Lethe's stream obey your words and the Fates be your handmaidens whenever you step foot in my kingdom."