Chapter 9

Bryn Atkinson's POV

It's been a few weeks since the little Eliazer incident, and he hasn't shown up to school since. My mind always wander back to him.

What the hell happened?

Jared had said he was gone for days and finally came back, but obviously not in good shape. I don't know if Jared is used to that or what, but its starting to worry me. Currently, I was with Gemini and the guys at a random park by the neighborhood. I've had a thing for parks, just the swings at least, they're fun if you ask me.

"Eloy! Can you get me a lime popsicle, please. Here, you can even help yourself." I said, handing him extra cash. Of course, being Eloy, he couldn't deny the offer of a free Popsicle and dashed towards the man with the ice cream cart.

"Psst, Bryn," Bruce said on the swing next to me.

"Look, check this out. It's my first." He stated proudly.

"Your first facial hair?" I asked, half dumbfounded as he played with the little strand hair that was underneath his chin. His smile turned upside down before he burst out.

"Shut up, don't talk to me anymore. I'm sharing with you the most incredible experience of my life and you just-... party pooper!" He said, emphasizing his hands towards the sky. I laughed at his childness, throwing him a small pebble. Eloy coming back brought my attention, he gave me my lime green posicle while he opened his cocoa flavored.

Eloy bit into it, which is strange.

Doesn't his teeth hurt or something?

Of course, that brought attention to Eloy and I. River took a huge bite out of Eloy's CoCo, and Eloy immediately snatched it away.

"The was the gayest shit I've ever seen, River," Benji said, laughing. River just shrugged his shoulders, still chewing on the contents that were in his mouth. My eyes wandered, looking for Gemini. She was sitting next to Grayson, on the ground, and the most surprising thing happens.

Grayson wraps an arm around her, and she's completely oblivious to it. You don't know how much of a big deal this is, I don't even know how this shit happened.

"When did this happen?" Tanner asked, thinking the same as I. Everybody now turned to look at them, but they simply shrugged their shoulders.

"You're gonna explain this to me later." I mouthed at Gemini.

And she solemnly nodded in agreement.

***

At the moment, Jared told me to meet him at the apartment, so I was on my way. I honestly don't know what for, but curiosity comes with those two boys. It was dark out, so Jared told me to take the main streets here. Once that was done, I only had to walk a dark block. Honestly, while seeing it, this neighborhood kinda scares the shit out of me.

The street lights flickered on and off, not even close to easing my nerves. I decided to speed walk, really wanting to get out of the dark. It's scary because you can't see what hides there, you're hugged by the darkness and don't even know what's in it. The sound of footsteps behind me pulled up a red flag, so I picked my pace.

They did too.

My heart was thumping like crazy, my conscience telling me to run. I felt so nervous, I wasn't even thinking rational. At some point, I didn't even notice my pace changed, I was blown out running, and they were too. I looked back for a second and saw the silhouette chasing me. My throat felt tight and I wanted to scream, but no sound came out.