Carnival Phantasm

Start from the beginning

Replace all of that with a lighthearted & non serious setting, comical chaos/skits and have the characters from said franchises have a 180 degree turn with their canon personalities to fit said setting, and you pretty much have Carnival Phantasm in a nutshell.

(Okay, this became one of my favorite openings. I still can't get over these serious characters dancing to this rather silly tone)

It's just as chaotic as it seems, in a good way.

Now, if you aren't familiar with at least one of mentioned series, you'll still find it funny and get a huge kick out of this series, although majority of the inside jokes will fly right over your head. Seriously, I haven't even reared my head towards Tsukihime until now and even I laughed my ass off at the skits involving them. There are some brilliant hidden gems that poke fun at the dark worlds that they normally live in, parodying Japanese game shows, soap operas, children's stories, Sailor Moon, and the most blatantly obvious ones, Fate/stay night and Tsukihime.

(Seriously though, if you try to watch Fate/stay night or Fate/Zero right after this series, you find it very, very hard to take some of the characters seriously. TBH after watching this, I kinda had to watch an episode of either anime to remind myself that these characters were from a rather grim and mature story.)

One example of how this works is literally the first episode, where the normally bloody Holy Grail War....is turned into a game show.

is turned into a game show

That...is fucking ingenious.

The way their characters play off each other is absolutely brilliant, Gilgamesh crashes the party in the most Gil way possible, Lancer dies in the most hilarious way possible, and despite being a goddamn game show, the Holy Grail war still ends up being the most bloodiest war so far....in the most Carnival Phantasm way possible. The ending is both "WTF did I just watch" and at the same time had me needing stitches.

My second favorite is this: As opposed to a game show, what else would the Holy Grail war get reduced to?

The answer: A Grand Prix.