"You have all been briefed on the topic of our guest speaker," Zeus continued. "So, without further delay, I will turn the podium over to Phoebe."

With perfect grace, Phoebe rose from her chair and glided toward the podium, the train of her pale blue gown sweeping the floor like dusk covering the sky. Her hair shone a luminous silver, but her face held the youthful glow of a woman in her thirties. Lexi had been informed by Hecate that Phoebe was born with blonde hair but it had turned silver when her powers matured. Hecate held her great grandmother in awe and never tired of talking about her.

"Good day, everyone. I hope you all had a restful evening and have prepared yourselves for a lively discussion." Phoebe glanced deliberately around the room, looking as if she intended to make eye contact with every face. When her gaze came to rest on Lexi, her mouth lifted into a smile followed by a subtle but unmistakable wink. What was that about?

"I have come to you today to relay an important message from Gaia. As most of you know, the frequency of my communications with Gaia has gradually lessened with the passage of time. The last correspondence occurred twenty-two mortal years ago, when she informed me she planned to impart her gift of revival, renewal and creation on a demigod as a prophetic message to the gods. A message Gaia feels is necessary to thwart her demise."

Demise? Did Phoebe just say 'thwart Gaia's demise'? A low murmur swept through the room as the gods reacted to Phoebe's ominous message, and Lexi glanced at Zeus where he sat in his chair, his face an impassive stone wall as usual. He made no attempt to return her gaze.

"You all know of this prophecy, although I expect many of you have put it out of your minds, as we so often do with unpleasant news. However, the reality is happening right outside our doors. The earthly realm of mortals is decaying and this fact affects us all. Of course, we know our existence is dependent upon the health of Gaia. We are eternal but only as long as we have her divinity to support us. She has given us many gifts and now she is asking us to do something for her."

"What is she asking for?" Hera said. "Anything I have I willingly give up to Gaia if it will please her."

"Thank you, Hera," Phoebe said, acknowledging the rosy-cheeked goddess with a nod. "Gaia is not asking for anything physical. She is asking for change. She fears we have all become complacent and selfish, leaving the mortals to fend for themselves when there is much we can offer on their behalf. How we conduct our lives and how we treat our fellow gods affects our mortal counterparts. Gaia's most recent communication came in the form of a warning, which I will repeat here."

Phoebe closed her eyes and a brilliant halo of light radiated out from her body, making her look like an angel. The effect was mesmerizing, which Lexi figured was a useful byproduct of her gift. "As the earth mother fades, so too will the gods, starting with the original twelve - the titans. When they return to the stars, they take with them the gifts they impart. Their loss is predicted to cause great distress to every inhabitant, both in Olympus and the mortal world. The Olympians will be left to lead, but they are not the ones to bring about resolution and secure peace, for they have been corrupted by pride and ego. It is the young ones, both gods and demigods, who have the humility, mercy and charity to accomplish the task. Follow their example and your earth mother will be whole again."

Phoebe opened her eyes and the halo flickered out like a fire extinguished with water. She appeared visibly drained, and both Zeus and Poseidon stood to flank her. Voices rose as faces turned toward the table of titans, but everyone was silenced by Zeus' hand, allowing Phoebe to finish addressing the council.

"I have interpreted this message to mean we need to take action now, and we must consider our youth as champions for the cause. I suggest a meeting be called to engage our young progeny in the conversation."

Lexi raised her hand, ignoring the nervous twinge in her belly as she looked at Phoebe. The goddess carried herself like a saint, and both times Lexi had spoken with her, she battled a bout of nerves. "I would be happy to organize a council for this purpose, your ladyship. I have befriended many of the younger gods, and I can think of several right now who would consider this a worthy cause to attach themselves to."

Phoebe offered an encouraging smile to Lexi, relieving the knot trying to strangle her gut. "I cannot think of a better goddess for the job than you, Lady Lexi. I believe we should put it to a vote, as we do not want to break with protocol. And since time is of the essence, I suggest we do this by a show of hands."

Zeus nodded his agreement to Phoebe before shouting to the assembly. "All in favor of Lady Lexi filling the role of principle organizer of a council in this regard, please raise your hand."

A few hands immediately lifted, but many were reluctant to offer their support. Did they not trust Lexi to do this? Hadn't she served the council fairly and without too many objections? Someone cleared his throat, breaking the tension.

"How do we know Lexi can handle a task of such importance?" Iapetus said, his sharply-bearded jaw jutting as his eyes roved over the room. Lexi decided to add him to her list of gods who triggered her anxiety. "She is already busy with the burdens placed on her by this council. My great granddaughter, Odessa, may be a wiser choice."

"I would be happy to collaborate with Odessa," Lexi offered, holding Iapetus in her steady gaze while simultaneously forcing a lump down her throat. "She and I have similar viewpoints, and her knowledge of Olympus will compliment my knowledge of the mortal world. I could pay her a visit right after the council meeting and get her opinion. Could we vote remotely, once I have spoken with Odessa?"

Lexi looked to Zeus, who appeared to be wrestling with his own opinions even as he acknowledged Iapetus with a nod. "I think a collaboration is a prudent course of action, Iapetus. What say you, council? Lexi and Odessa can parse out the details and present us with a plan before we cast our votes."

There was a general agreement around the room, based on the number of bobbing heads and the lack of gods with jutting chins spouting their personal agendas. Okay, maybe Iapetus didn't have an agenda, but Lexi now had a better grasp of his nature and made a note of it for future reference.

"It's settled then," Zeus said, his voice imbued with the tone of finality. "This meeting is adjourned. Let us now enjoy refreshments and cordial conversation. Thank you all for coming."

Zeus made to escort Phoebe away from the podium when she stopped him to reach for Lexi's shoulder, offering Lexi a glimpse into her vibrant blue eyes. It was like looking into a starry sky in the middle of the day.

"You have extraordinary gifts, Lexi, which match your capacity to help your fellows. I am very glad you are here with us. When you have a moment to spare from your duties today, I would love to have a personal word, just you and I. I am returning home presently to rest and will await your arrival."

Phoebe departed from the meeting room on the arm of Zeus, leaving Lexi to wonder what the esteemed goddess wanted to talk to her about. Across the table, Poseidon looked pointedly at her, eyebrows raised and lips tweaked into a grin.

"It appears the oracle is seeking counsel with you, Lexi. I wonder what great words of wisdom she plans to impart on your young mind." He glanced at the water goblet sitting in front of her. "You might want to consider indulging in something stronger than water. A nice chardonnay, perhaps."