Chapter 23

Camilla's POV:

Waking up at a surprisingly early hour for me, I read over my list, smiling at my choices and practically jumping out of bed with joy. Rummaging through my suitcase, I pull out a gym bag and stuff some extra exercise clothes as well as my boots. 

Throwing on a tank top and some black exercise shorts, I tie up my sneakers and head out the door, hiding my list at the bottom of my gym bag. I head down to the lobby, noticing that the rest of the team already gathered and waiting for the bus to arrive. 

I spend the time talking and laughing with the team. James attempts to talk but ever since I was little, I rarely spoke much with the opposing team's captain and thus I ignored him. Eventually, the bus arrives and we climb in.

"Good morning everyone. I hope everyone slept well," Pekerman's voice boomed throughout the bus, "Well, today we have quite a large match today among the team. I want the two captains, James and Camilla to come up and pick their teams" he chuckled.

I rummaged to the bottom of my bag and pulled out my list and made my way up the bus. 

"Camilla, you're the guest you can pick first" James smiled, looking over to me.

Blushing, I look out to the first name on my list. I scan my eyes throughout the team before I call out that I want Ospina. He yelled with joy, causing the team to burst with laughter.

About ten minutes later, our teams were decided. I had Ospina, Cuadrado, Arias, Marlos Moreno, Roa, Fabra, Mina, Celis, Torres, and Cristian Zapata.

James' team was Bonilla, Bacca, Diaz, Aguilar, Dayro Moreno, Martinez, Medina, Sanchez, Murillo, and Perez.

Arriving to the stadium, the boys headed to one changing room while I headed to mine. I quickly threw on the jersey from my old team that I always have with me, a pair of black spandex, my shin guards, knee socks, Adidas boots, and finally wrapped some light blue pre-wrap around my high ponytail.

I grabbed my gym bag, filling up my water bottle and heading out onto the pitch. Meeting up with my team, I begin my pre game speech, the one I had memorized since I was sixteen. My team gets riled up and we quickly begin cheering, causing the rest of the boys to laugh as well.

Our referee was Robinson Zapata and he laid out the ground rules about how the match. It would last 60 minutes, yellow and red cards can still be issued for the same reasons, and that there will be a 10 minute break for halftime.

We quickly got into our positions, Cuadrado and I were going to kick off. When the match whistle blew, I quickly passed it off to Torres who then wove his way through some of the midfielders. I kept my eye on James and stayed one step ahead, making sure the ball wouldn't reach him. For the next 25 minutes, we passed the ball among my team, mainly in the other half, attempting to find some path to shoot the ball. 

Both Morenos were keeping the ball from one another, attempting to get around to pass it off. In a split second, Marlos broke free and slid the ball to an open area. I broke out into a dead sprint, feeling the wind through my hair before I made it over to the ball. I scissored past Bacca, sending him to the ground. I was then one on one with James, I decided to pull a risky move. As he was heading towards me to steal it, I quickly crossed my left foot over the ball, while tapping the right foot forward, I then quickly side turned and tapped it lightly towards the goal, sending James the opposite way and me alone with a goal. Turning my whole body, I crossed it into the top right corner, slipping out of the hands of Bonilla.

Erupting with cheers, I was engulfed in a huge hug, smiles plastered across all of our faces. Making our way to the midfield as the goalie prepped for his goal kick, James came up and praised me for my skills.