Chapter 26

Three weeks later

I rubbed at my face. I had given the order to have my patrol control the border and it was only a matter of time before the first of the Mollitiam pack members were killed. Every effort I had made to reach Brice had fallen on deaf ears and I needed to control my borders. It was a hard decision but one I needed to make as an Alpha. I had given Brice every leniency I could think of but I was at the end of it now. I had used up all my excuses for him. It was time to be the Alpha the mountains knew me as.

I hated that such a long and prosperous alliance was being torn apart by someone unable to let a personal vendetta go. It was as simple as pride. Brice was unwilling to let our history go. He had a territory. He had a pack but he wanted Algus. He refused to back down, to give up. I let out a sigh, rubbing at my face. It was foolishness on his part and now shifters would die and an alliance would crumble.

My only bright spot in a rather grim day was the fact that I had the hunt planned for today. The entire pack was excited and I had managed to convince Lace to join. She was incredibly anxious about leaving the children. She was just getting used to me being around Nina and it had taken me nearly a full week to convince her to let my father take care of her and the boys while the hunt was going on.

There had been several points where it looked like Lace was going to back out but I had managed to get her to rethink after reminding her it was about providing for the children, about making sure they had food. Even though she was still hesitant about it she was going to participate. I wanted her to spend more time with the pack. She was isolated. She kept herself isolated. The boys were in and out of the house with friends but outside of the people who visited her and the trips to the bathhouse, Lace rarely left her small space. I wanted her to go out and interact with others for a tiny bit.

"Zeezee!" Clary sung the name out and I smiled, looking at the doorway as she skipped inside. "Graham is comin' over!" She was excited and had been excited since I had managed to convince Lace to let the kids come over for the hunt. I lifted Clary onto my lap and she hugged me tightly around the neck.

"You guys gunna go get meat!" She kissed my cheek and smiled, showing off her teeth. I smiled. She was going to be one hell of a fighter when she grew up. She was already showing off her abilities. Most children didn't start showing teeth until they got their wolves. For her it was a natural instinct. I wondered if she would be the one to have enough drive to take my throne from me.

"Yes! Gunna go on the hunt. Nom nom nom nom!" I buried my face into her neck, ticking her with my slight beard.

"Stop, Zeezee!" She giggled hysterically and tried to push me away. I pulled back and ruffled her hair with a smile. There was nothing like a bubbly little sister to improve a gloomy mood. Her cheeks were red and her eyes bright. I ruffled her hair again.

"What are you going to do while we are on the hunt?" I already had an idea but she was so excited I knew she would want to tell me about it herself.

"Mama has the movie room set up! We are gunna watch movies and have snacks!" She wiggled in excitement and I pretended to be surprised at the news.

"Movies and snacks? Wow!" I tickled her sides and she giggled as she bounced slightly, trying to escape from me. I laughed before stopping and kissing her forehead. I could hear Tandi calling for Clary from further down the halls. I lifted her off my lap. "Make sure you are all ready to see your guests and go see Tandi before she takes apart the fort stone by stone in search of you." I ruffled her hair and she nodded happily before she skipped out of the room. I relaxed into my chair, a feeling of melancholy washing over me for a brief moment.

"Stop moping." Mason strolled into the room and I rubbed my face. There was a reason for my somber mood. Destroying lives and an ancient alliance over pride was never anything I wanted. I was allowed to be somber for it.