Chapter 1- Sam

I stared out the window, contemplating whether I wanted to move back to Florida. I had a bunch of friends in California, and didn't know if I was ready to find new ones. I didn't even want to think of finding old ones.

"Why couldn't we move to Georgia or something instead?" I asked, taking one of my earbuds out.

"Because your father got a huge job opportunity in Florida. We can't just pass it up!" My mom sighed. "Is this about-"

"No! I just- okay, maybe it is." I cut her off. "We haven't made one phone call or anything since I left. What if he's a drug addict now or something?!" I over exaggerated.

"Honey, it'll be fine. Plus, it's a slim chance he'll go to the same school as you. I doubt you two will run into each other." She pulled up to a gas station. "Are you gonna go in, get something?"
"Well I'm going to the bathroom," said Mike, my brother. He's three years older than me, at nineteen. I got out of the car, and walked into the store. "Yes!" I whisper-yelled when I saw the coffee machine. I walked up to it and started to make my coffee.

"Are you new here? I haven't really seen you around," asked the girl next to me. She looked around my age. I nodded.

"I lived here six years ago. This place looks different than I remember."

"Oh. Well I moved here around two years ago. I'm Emily," she smiled, holding out her hand.
"Sam," I said, shaking her hand. I took my coffee. "Well Emily, I'll see you around."

As I was walking to the car, I bumped into a girl, spilling some of my coffee on her. She gasped.
"Oh god, I'm so sorry!" I said getting my napkins and dabbing it on the girl's top.

"No! You're just spreading it!" She said, annoyed. "Ughh, this is a new top! Thanks a lot!" She scoffed and walked away. I hadn't even moved in yet and I already got on someone's bad side! I walked into the car.

"Great, now I'd like to move to Alaska please," I said, feeling my heart beat through my chest.
"Don't worry, it was just one girl. I'm sure you'll be fine!" I could tell my mom was lying.

~

I slid my foot into the soft sand as I took in my familiar surroundings. Out of all the places I'd been to so far, this is the one that hasn't changed. I walked down to the water and placed my bare feet into the calm current. There was almost no one on the beach giving that it was night time. I did see two guys that seemed around my age throwing a football in the water. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the guys run backward, flailing his arms around for the football. To my surprise, he crashed right into me, leaving us both lying on the sand. After a few seconds I realized that I wasn't only in the damp sand, but my whole body was lying in the water, all of my clothes soaked. Trying to process what had just happened, I looked back to see both of the guys snickering to themselves.

"Way to go dude!" One of them said, chuckling. I almost immediately stood to my feet, not even thinking about what I was saying.

"Jerk!" I yelled. The boy who knocked me over chuckled.

"Sorry princess, would you like me to escort you to your castle as well?" He said sarcastically, bowing.

That's it. I was angry now. Not thinking, I slapped him across the face. I guess I didn't realize how hard I had done it, because it left a bloody scratch on his cheek.

"I-I'm . . .," I started.

"Save it, blondie." He chuckled. "Sorry, but I may just have to declare a war between us," he smirked.

"Maybe so," I whispered, giving him an evil look.

"Matt, stop playing around! We gotta practice for Friday!" Yelled the other guy from a few feet away. My eyes widened. It had to be a coincidence! Matt is a very common name, and I wasn't going to freak out because this guy had the same name as my childhood friend. My face shot a worried look as I saw his eyes. Forest green.

Matt, my childhood friend, had brown hair. The boy who declared war with me had brown hair. Matt played football. The boy standing in front of me had to practice for Friday. Friday was the scrimmage game. He obviously saw my worried face.

"You okay?" He said, the same smirk on his face.
I shook my head. "You changed. I knew it! You needed me to keep you from being this way! I never should have left . . . It has obviously changed you into a jerk." I was starting to get teary-eyed. Matt looked at me like I was crazy.
"What do you-," as he focused on my face, his eyes grew wide.

"S-Sam?" He stuttered.

"Don't talk to me! Or I swear to god you'll regret it!" I yelled at him, feeling a hot tear roll down my cheek. He watched as I ran off.