Chaper 8: Drunken minds, sober thoughts

Having left almost straight after his revelation on Tuesday night, Aidan has yet to text, call or turn up at my door step since, seemingly respecting my decision for him to keep his much needed distance. Tonight, however, I have no option but to enjoy his company as it's Jess' birthday and I refuse to be that person who doesn't attend her best friends celebration due to personal issues.

Besides, it's just a meal and few drinks, what can can possibly go wrong?

With that thought in mind, I take an encouraging deep breath in and enter the small, Italian themed restaurant, ready to encounter whatever possibilities are thrown at me throughout this evening.
Straight away, I'm brought to the attention of the shimmering fairy lights hanging from the ceiling, seemingly doing very little in giving off any source of light; resulting in the space having a rather relaxing, mysterious vibe. In the background, there appears to be a gentle song playing, mostly consisting of violins and other various string instruments, offering me a sense of comfort; calming my nerves a little.

"You're here!" yells a very excited Jess from across the room where everyone else is already seated; Drew, Dylan, Chloe, Aidan and of course, Sophie.

I flash Jess a quick smile, while manoeuvring in between the other tables and accidentally lock eyes with Aidan as I do so. An overwhelming tense atmosphere settles between us as my line of sight travels down towards the protective arm he has flung around Sophie, causing my heart to physically squeeze in pain.
Smiling widely, I try not to alert the others of my ever growing, conflicting feelings and decide to distract myself with the birthday girl herself.

"Happy birthday, Jess!" I say, enthusiastically while wrapping my arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Thanks!" she replies, squeezing my body back with such a force; every ounce of oxygen is momentarily sucked out of me.

I allow my gaze to travel around the table while I politely acknowledge everyone, mumbling a few "Hi's" along the way; the strained expressions reflecting off of Drew and Dylan certainly not going unnoticed as I do so. I shoot them both an assuring smile, quick to rid their doubts about Aidan and I being in the same room together and I'm pleased when I receive two smiles back in reply.

"Let's eat!" Jess declares, earning a chorus of 'yes's' as I take my seat at the end of the table, opposite Chloe and furthest away from Aidan, a move which may well have been intentional on my friend's behalf.

We order some food and it doesn't take long for everyone to fall into friendly conversation; the old days being the principle topic.

"Are you okay?" Chloe asks in a volume that ensures only I can hear.

With her face resembling that of total concern and the underlying amount of pity swimming around in her eyes, I assume she's asking about my wellbeing in the current situation, rather than life in general.

"Fine." I lie, feeling far from that in reality.

She responds by offering me an apologetic look, although what she's apologising for, I have no idea.

"So have you two set a date yet?" Sophie asks Dylan and Chloe, bringing us back into the conversation.

With a deliberate intention of doing so, I brave a look at the woman engaged to my ex boyfriend, noticing for the first time just how different we are in looks.
Her shoulder length, dark hair and ice-blue eyes hold no resemblance to me what so ever and has me undoubtedly questioning what it is Aidan see's in her.