"How did you know about the artery?" Rampage asks. "I thought you weren't into fighting."

"She's an intermediate-level EMT and a pre-med grad." Amanda ruffles my hair. "And she's damn good. She's just figuring out what to do with her life, but I already know she's meant to be healing people. She's got a gift."

"Stop it." Tears well up in my eyes, and I bat Amanda's hand away. She's the big sister Susie never was and the mother I always wanted all wrapped up in one golden, best friend package.

I turn my attention back to the ring. Flash's legs are no longer flailing.

"If he loses consciousness, I will consider it as 'someone getting hurt.'" I grumble quietly but Homicide hears me.

"He'll tap out," Homicide says. "If he doesn't, the referee will stop the match."

As if on cue, Flash taps the mat twice. Torment releases his grip and Flash rolls off him and lies spread eagle on the mat. The crowd is a frenzy of cheers and clapping. The retro bass of "Eye of the Tiger" pounds through the warehouse. The ring girls run a circle outside the ring, bosoms bouncing, miniskirts flapping, high heels clacking as they cheer, "Torment. Torment. Torment."

My God. If this is what happens after every fight, his ego must be blimp size.

The referee holds up Torment's hand and announces a win by submission in forty-six seconds. Flash staggers to his feet and wavers. He takes a step forward, then back, then sideways. He blinks several times and reaches for the ropes.

"Something's wrong with him." I tug on Homicide's sleeve. "Where's the doctor?"

"We don't have a ring doctor." His face tightens. "After the CSAC decided to sanction amateur MMA events, the ring doctors became afraid to work the underground circuit. The penalty for working an unsanctioned event is a license suspension. No doctor wants to take that risk."

"You must have someone here to look after injuries."

"It's every man for himself," Rampage answers. "Torment always takes the seriously injured guys to the hospital, but other than that, it's the luck of the draw if we've got a medical professional at a match."

I glance over at the ring. Torment is watching Flash and frowning. He calls out and Flash spins around then crumples and falls limp through the ropes. He lands on the concrete floor with a thud.

I jump up, knocking over my barf bucket. Protein bars spill across the floor. "Do you have a first aid kit?"

"Down by the ring. I'll get it for you." Rampage bulldozes a path through the crowd, and I race over to Flash.

Torment and the referee are already with him. His cornermen hover uselessly in the background.

"Makayla, you shouldn't be here," Torment snaps when I kneel beside Flash. I ignore him. He broke his promise. Someone got hurt after all.

Flash is conscious but moaning. He rubs his head and lets loose a string of swear words that would put a fifth grader to shame.

"Flash, I'm an EMT. Can I examine you?"

Flash's eyes focus on me and his lascivious smile makes my skin crawl. "Yeah, FCUK. I knew you'd come lookin' for Daddy Flash. You're wanting what I promised you. Don't worry, baby. A little injury isn't gonna stop me from putting my—"

A low growl startles us both. I look up. Torment's jaw is clenched and his eyes have narrowed to slits.

"Calm." I place my hand over his. "Although rude and obnoxious, he is my patient. I won't be very happy if you hurt him...yet."