Chapter 4

I decided to just go for it. I gave Jake a long kiss and asked quietly, "Jake, will you go out with me?"

His eyes widened slightly. He was speechless, I could tell.

"Uh, um, uh," he stammered. "Um, uh, um."

"A simple yes would be fine," I told him. He suddenly grinned.

"Yes," he said, nodding furiously. I smiled, but it was a small smile, for I did not want to do this.

"Now, there is something I want to tell you about," I said, sitting down right next to him, facing the same way he was. He looked at me. "If two vampires are meant to be, destined to be together, the only one for the other, their blood will taste like chocolate, but only to each other. Otherwise, their blood will just taste like the normal dirt-like taste that all vampire blood has." I glanced at him to let him know I wanted him to try it.

"Y-You know, I-I've never really bitten someone before," he stammered nervously.

"It's easy," I whispered. "J-Just be gentle, okay? The last time someone bit me was my mom, but that was when I was much younger, and I was asleep." I looked at him, worry clear in my eyes, but not just for getting hurt.

Jake took a deep breath. I felt a sharp pain in my neck, and I winced a bit. I gasped at the pain the bite brought. I watched as Jake pulled back, and I instantly put my hand on the wound.

"Tastes peculiar," he said. I looked at him. "Like chocolate."

"That means that yours will taste the same to me," I said. "Unless, somehow, you are destined to be with me, but I'm not destined to be with you." I smiled weakly at my joke.

"You should go take care of that," Jake said, nodding at my hand clasping my neck. I nodded and ran downstairs.

"What happened?" Mom asked with a blank expression as she treated my neck.

"You should know," I said dryly. "The ritual every vamp does after he or she starts dating another vamp, though most of the time, only the guys get bitten since the girls are too chicken."

"Ah," Mom said.

For about a month, Jake and I were perfectly fine, with only Jake, Erica, and I knowing how my blood tasted to Jake.

I also became friends with the suspect, whose name was Casper, so I was always calling him a friendly ghost.

After the first month of our relationship went by, I called Jake, wanting him to come over for a bit.

"Lucy!" Mom yelled from downstairs. Completely forgetting that I was still talking to Jake, I stuffed my phone in my pocket and went downstairs.

"Yep?" I asked.

"You have been dating Jake for long enough," Mom said. "It's time."

"Okay," I said. I sighed. "I just feel bad. I mean, I've been using Jake this entire time, but he doesn't even know it."

"You never told him the plan?" Mom said, confused.

"No," I said, shaking my head sadly. "My blood tasted like chocolate."

"You're kidding!" Mom exclaimed. "You'll just have to call him and tell him the plan quickly, then."

"Call him?" I said slowly, suddenly confused. "Crap! Crap! Crap! Dang it! I was calling him. I never hung up. Man, I'm an idiot!" I looked at my phone to see he had hung up on me. I ran to my room and was instantly in tears at what I saw.

On my floor sat a pile of ash, which vampires turn into when they die, a bloody stake, and a note.

My dear, dear Lucy, I am sorry to say that I heard your conversation you had with your mother. I am sorry that you never truly cared for me, that you were using me so that you could finish your job. I cannot go on living with the knowledge that the only one I truly loved, the one I was destined for, does not love me back, and she only pretended to care for me. I am sorry to say that even if I did decide to live, I could never love the same again. I hope this note, written in my blood, will keep you from doing the same to others.
                                 Signed, again in
                                 my blood, Jake

I cried. "I started to care for you, though," I sobbed. "I do love you, Jake, and I guess I'll never love the same either." A tear fell into the small paper. I lightly touched his name on the paper, realizing that the blood was still fresh, still wet. I licked my finger. His blood tasted to me like my blood tasted to him. I then cried myself to sleep.

A/N

This chapter is dedicated to SoccerLifez, who just kept telling me to change Jake, but then decided that killing him would be better. For those of you who actually liked him, you can blame her, but because I did not originally want him to go, just wait for the sequel, which I'm sure Lucy will be happy about. ; P