Chapter 23: Temari vs. Shikamaru

"Hey! What's going on? Hurry up and start the next match!!" One of the people in the crowds complained.

"How long are you going to keep us waiting?!!" The other one asked impatiently.

The referee furrowed his eyebrows at the fuzz that some of them were making above him. "Sheesh!!"

Ino clenched  her teeth and asked. "What's going on? Is Sasuke even here for his match?"

"Where is that guy? Is he planning not to come?" Shikamaru said in boredom, whereas Naruto narrowed his eyes at Gaara, who looked back at him the same way.

The third Hokage sighed and said. "We have no choice. As the rules state, Sasuke will be disqualified."

Kankuro clicked his tongue, getting annoyed every second. "If he doesn't come, then the plan will not work."

"This is bad. What are we going to do?" Temari asked concernedly.

Gaara didn't said anything yet as he remembered his encounter with Sasuke's training. He had the urge of killing him, but it wasn't the right time for now.

When the other two remaining matches had postponed because of Sasuke's absence and Kankuro's forfeit, Shikamaru and Temari start their fight alternatively.

With a flick of her big fan, Temari waited for her opponent to come down. He was feeling nervous when he was pushed over the deck railing by Naruto, grinning at him widely.

A sound of crash was made and everyone were demanding for them to start. Lots of garbage was thrown at him, but he could care less of that.

"Everyone wants to see Sasuke's fight. They're probably angry because, after all this waiting, they have to watch this pathetic excuse for a match between the two side acts," Shikamaru sighed in mind. "Since nobody cares about this fight, there really isn't any point of doing it."

"What, are you going to give up so soon?" Temari hinted with a smirk.

"Ugh. A girl again... Of course," his eyes landed on her upside down.

"Good luck, Shikamaru!!" Naruto shouted vehemently.

Temari began to charge at him and said. "If you won't come, then I will!!"

"Hey! I didn't start the match yet!!" The referee raised his voice, but she didn't listen, just when she held her fan up to attack Shikamaru.

He dodged it as he stood up real quick. "Can't have a guy losing to a girl. So, I guess I'll do it." He watches her sweeping the fan with so much force in the air.

She noticed that he went to go on a hiding and smirked in thought. "Hah! He's great at running away! Even so, a guy just can't go around hitting women."

Ino roared in excitement. "Bust her up!!! Shikamaru! Get her with a 16-hit combo!"

"Is it okay if I sit here?" A voice said that made her look at the person munching on the chips noisily.

"What's wrong with you, Choji? Your stomach's alright, already?" Ino asked, but he decided to give out his thoughts.

"Huh? Wasn't it supposed to be Sasuke's match next?"

"It was... He might arrive here, eventually," she said.

"Hmm. But for Shikamaru to be in the finals. It seems really out of place, isn't it?" Choji commented.

"Don't say that! Sure, he doesn't have any special techniques but he's really great at planning strategies, right? I get the feeling that's how we were able to survive until the final preliminary rounds, you know!" Ino pointed out.