~ 1

Chapter 1 |

Kyela's Pov

Dancing was my life. My dream was to go to dance school in New York and become the world's most famous ballerina, yet I was still living with my mother working part time at a dance studio down the street from my house. I was 23, and I couldn't wait to get out of here.

It was getting close to eleven o'clock when I finished packing my duffel bag full of dance equipment: shoes, towel, tights, etc. I was about to head home and lock up the studio when a co-worker of mine came out from the bathroom.

"Hey, you getting ready to go?" He asked with a grin.

"Yea, I was just about to lock up," I answer while stuffing my water bottle into my bag.

"Oh, okay. Well, be safe getting home."

"I will," I assured him with a smile.

He disappeared into the backroom, and I, flustered and sweaty, grabbed my bag and headed for the door.

"Hey, Kye!" Colby called from behind me.

"Yea?" I say, turning around.

"Wanna go out for dinner tomorrow?" he offers.

I push a loose strand of hair behind my hair nervously, smiling at him.

"Yea, sure."

"Good."

I skip out of the building happier than ever. I've been waiting for him to ask me out since the day I started working here. I run onto the sidewalk like I'm a teenaged girl who just got her first kiss because I'm so happy. As I showcase my happiness down the shortcut that I take everyday, I come across a loud argument.

It's a long dark alley, so I feel really out of place and scared, but as I walk faster, the arguing gets louder. Instantly, when I turn the corner, I'm stopped by an angry fight between two men. I want to turn back and hide behind the wall until they finish, but my feet are stuck in place.

The one guy in the creme colored suit, silk blue shirt, and a matching fedora, who's winning, literally pounds the other guy that I can't identify into the cement. The man's lifeless body lay helplessly as the winning guy hits him one last time before shaking his fist as if he was in pain.

I can feel my breathing increase while the man with the fedora pulls out a gun from the inside of his jacket. I open my mouth to scream when he pulls the trigger, but no sound comes out. All of a sudden, the man raises his head, and his eyes unexpectedly meet mine. I can spot the shine of the moon from his cocoa brown eyes from the opposite side of the long alley that seems to be longer than normal.

He mumbles something under his breath that I can't hear because of our distance apart. Before he can say something directly to me, a black car comes to a screeching stop behind him. He runs to the other side gracefully while fumbling with the door.

"Fuck, Jermaine! Open the door," he shouts into the closed car.

I stay frozen for a few more seconds while he drives off into the darkness. My whole body is shaking out of fear, and I can't do anything but run, so I take off. Rather than chasing after a taxi, I continue to run home because I just need to get away without any distractions.

I burst through my front door with such force that the knob almost puts a hole in the wall. I curse under my breath before closing it gently and attempting to tip toe into my bedroom down the hall. Before I reach the hall, the light switches on.

"Kyela Pullman! What are you doing getting home at this hour," My mom walks out from her room with her pajamas and a cap on her head.

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine," I tell her.

"Fine? Looks like you've just seen a ghost."

Oh, I've seen something alright, but I'm really trying to shake it out of my head.

"Mom, I'm going to take a shower so that I can go to bed. Can I do that?"

"Fine," she agrees.

In the shower, I try to wash away the vivid memories of the death I'd just witnessed, yet they keep coming back. He murdered a guy right in front of me, and it was the most gruesome thing I had ever experienced. How could you kill someone? That's just cruel.

I hop into bed, scared to go to sleep. I try to force my eyes close, but I can't seem to go to sleep because every time I close my eyes all I see is that fedora.

Hey readers !

What do you guys think ?

Leave all your thoughts in the comments because I'd love to read them !