Chapter 20 Keefe's POV

I sit down next to the door thinking. I go to pull my hair, but my hand only brushes short stubs. It's in a buzz-cut. Will Sophie like me anyway?

KEEFE! KNOCK IT OFF! After you save Sophie, you can ask her this stuff!

Okay, back to square one. I narrowed it down to two. Gah! Why is this so hard? Well, maybe it's because you have SO many secrets. I really need to get a therapist, better yet, I need to talk to Sophie about all of this.

I remember how when I was young, my parents neglected me. I would draw pictures of me being a Vacker. One day my dad found them and I was grounded. He even gave me a spanking. It hurt like being shot with a melder four times. Maybe I was being a little to dramatic. I hated him for that.

Another time I drew a picture of Fitz, Biana, and I. My mom found it and said Biana and I would be perfect together. I didn't think so. Now when I look at it, my mom sneered whenever she said a Vackers name.

Four years ago Sophie came to the Lost Cities. I drew pictures over and over again of her. Standing in the hallway, hiding behind a strand of hair. Blushing. My personal favorite, her during a splotching battle. My mom found it one night and yelled at me. 'What are you doing wasting your time drawing pictures of some girl? No one should be distracting you from your studies! NO ONE!' Now I realized she was just angry that it was Sophie.

Three years ago I spent more and more time with Sophie. My mom would try and get me to do things with other people, but I told her I am. We argued a lot about Foster. She said 'She isn't good enough. You need someone to keep you on your toes!' I wouldn't say anything after that, since I knew I wasn't good enough for her.

Two years ago Sophie had a circlet. I tried to cheer her up. When she was asleep, I quietly drew pictures of her and Ella, her peaceful face, her hair, brown eyes. Everything was the shade of a pencil except for her eyes. I carefully drew the chocolate brown, and sunshine gold in her eyes. She was and is my sunshine.

Last year Sophie was always there when I needed her. Slumber parties and everything. The one thing I regret isn't joining the Neverseen, I learned important things about myself there, but is actually not spending enough time with my friends and Foster.

It dawned on me what my darkest secret is, one that I swore I'd never tell Sophie.

"I was tweaked like you, but for the Neverseen. Somewhere, somehow I know who your parents are. I was tweaked to kill you, but now I love you," I whisper to the door.

It opens slowly with a noisy creak.

"Foster!" I shout happily, running into the room, only to face another door.

"Keefe?" Sophie asks hopefully.

"Yeah!" I shout. Smiling, I repeat what I said, but the door doesn't open.

"Keefe! Get me out of here!" Sophie screams.

I stop smiling, "Sophie, what does it say above your door?" I ask.

"Um," She pauses, "Secrets!" She yells.

"Sophie, you have to tell the door your deepest darkest secret!" I yell.

"Okay!" She yells. It's silent on the other side. I sit down and think.

An hour, two, maybe even three pass and the door still hasn't opened.

I hear a creak, the door slowly opens. 

"SOPHIE!" I shout happily, running and hugging her.

She hugs me.

We're in the little box room.

"Keefe! The doors!" Sophie gasps. I notice that they're closing, I run to try and keep it open, but it closes faster. 

"NO!" I scream, pounding my fist against the cold hard steel.

"Keefe, don't hurt yourself," Sophie whispers, rubbing my back.

I turn around and hug her. We sit on the floor. My arm is around her shoulders, she leans against my chest.

"I love you," I whisper, kissing her forehead.

"I love you too," Sophie smiles.

It's silent for a while.

~~~

I think. How to get out, how to get out. I get an idea.

"Sophie, would you hate me if you knew my deepest darkest secret?" I ask quietly.

"No! Keefe, I'd never hate you!" Sophie's pained that I'd think so.

I take a deep breath, "Sophie, the Neverseen tweaked my genes when I was a baby. My actual parents are my parents now, but my mom gave me to scientists. I'm like you but different. They created me to kill you, but I love you, so that's their flaw. You can design things, but that doesn't mean that they'll work the way they want it to. My secret is that, somewhere in here," I point to my head, "I know who your parents are. I have the rest of your memories in here too, but if I tell you, it could destroy the world. At least that's what Mr. Forkle thinks. Right now though, I don't know who or what they are. Photographic memory, you know. So yeah, that's my secret," I whisper. Sophie looks at me and blinks.

"I'm sorry! I should have told you sooner, but I was worried you'd hate me! I was being Self--" Sophie kisses me.

"Keefe, thanks for telling me," She whispers.

"No problem," I whisper looking into her eyes.

I smile, and she does too.

"So, what's your mysterious dark secret?" I ask wiggling my eyebrows, smirking. Sophie pales.

"Um," Sophie looks nervous.

"Sophie, I won't ever dislike you! I'll love you no matter what, even if you like Fitz, or some other guy! As long as you're happy, I'm happy! Sure some selfish part of me would like you to love me, but as long as I'm still in your life, I'm good," I tell her softly. Hopefully she can tell that I'm honest.

"I-I can't-I can't," She whispers.

"Yes you can! Sophie, I believe in you!" I smile reassuringly.

"My abilities are killing me," She whispers.

No, not Foster.

I ignore the doors opening, I stare at her. I'm in a daze.