~Mourning over a Mother's Death

The ravenette was sitting silently on the cobblestone bench, reflecting on his actions days ago. His heart ached, replaying the same reaction shining through your e/c orbs. Guilt and worry were the only emotions swirling in your hues. Perhaps the prince was too brash, allowing his emotions take over. Even Noctis was dumbfounded at his action, wanting to travel in time to set things right again.

He already knew you were avoiding him, noticing you quickly retreat away if you caught a glimpse of a dark haired fellow. His fingertips brushed over the ring bestowed by his father, his sapphire orbs glowering at the morning sky. His eyes flickered back to ground level, his ears perking at the sound of rustling leaves. An annoyed blonde stumbled in the open, green leaves poking from underneath his bright, blonde locks.

"There you are Noct! I've been looking for you." Prompto greeted, sitting down next to his friend.

"Hey Prom, what's up?" Noctis asked, averting his gaze towards the blonde.

"Oh you know, stuff." Prompto answered with a shrug of his shoulders.

Noctis released a deep sigh, noticing the unnatural shaking of his hands and the constant tapping of his shoe against the ground.

"What do you want?" Noctis questioned, frowning at his friend's odd behavior.

"Well, I wanted to ask what happened a week ago. Did you give her the necklace?" Prompto admitted, sheepishly rubbing the nape of his neck with a guilty smile.

"Yeah, I did. But, I did something a bit out of my league." Noctis replied, making the blonde's curiosity heighten.

"What happened?" Prompto shuffled closer, leaning his ear closer to him.

"I almost kissed her." He forced out, feeling his cheeks burn underneath the sun's morning rays.

"You wha!" Prompto exclaimed, pulling back with a dumbfounded expression. He was clearly shocked at the Noctis' bold actions, usually being the aloof and reserved prince.

"I don't even know why I did it. It just felt like an instinct." Noctis confessed, burying his heat radiating face into his palms, hunching forward. A few seconds of silence passed through the brightly lit courtyard.

"I heard from other maids how she always leaves on this certain day late at ten p.m. She usually hitches a ride out of the city." Prompto murmured quietly, a small window of hope opening in the prince's mind.

"Really? Do you know why?" Noctis questioned, concealing the desperate tone hidden in his voice.

"Not sure, just wanted to tell you about that little secret that I uncovered. See you around Noct!" Prompto hopped up from his seat, waving a hand over his shoulder as he jogged back towards the palace. The prince smiled to himself, hoping to save the tangled friendship between him and the maid.

~~~~~~~~~~

Your attire consisted of a black, knee high dress, matching laced boots and a black headband embellished with silver skulls. Moonlight cascaded from your curtained windowsill, lightly illuminating the pitch-black bedroom. Your e/c hues identified the hands on your clock, 8:50.

"That seems about enough time before my curfew." You mumbled, tucking a single black rose into the pocket of your dress.

You groped a black robe from your wardrobe, before creaking the door slowly open. You scanned the hallway, no source of footsteps sounding through the empty corridor. You walked cautiously down the hallway, pausing mid step for any sounds. A door opened, light illuminating from the inside as your attendant exited sluggishly, still half asleep. You crouched down behind a wooden countertop, your heartbeat escalating as her foosteps drew nearer. You released a sigh of relief as she continued to walk through the hall with closed eyes.