Welcome Home

I sat on my bed staring blankly at the wall for a few minutes after Dani exited my room. So many unanswered questions were floating around in my head; Was it the sugar that made me act so reckless and break up with the boy I have loved for over two years? Why didn't he come and visit me in the hospital? Did I have feelings for Josh?

"What's up baby girl?" Joe asked from the doorway, I looked up startled and clutched my hand to my heart.

"You need a bell." I spat trying to stop my racing heart but wasn't successful. "What are you doing home?"

Joe strolled into my room and grinned. "It's 4:00 . . . school is out at 3:30. You were pretty deep thought just now, something on your mind you want to talk about?"

Shaking my head, I smiled. "No, Dani just came by earlier and gave me some things to think about."

Joe sat down on the bed and took my hand in his. "How are you doing with the whole diabetes thing? I know what a curve ball it must have been and we are all worried about you."

"I'm dealing with it. It's not like we don't have the whole diabetes thing down to a science around here." I said brushing off his concern, Joe cocked a brow.

"It's ok to be scared ya know..." He said giving my hand a squeeze.

Giving Joe a small smile I released my hand from his. "I'm not scared, I know how to manage it and pretty soon it will be routine...it's just a challenge getting used to something new, I'm fine, really."

"If you say so." Joe said smiling. "I'm so proud of the woman you are growing up to be. I know we don't say that enough but it's been an amazing journey watching you become you. You remind me more of Mom everyday."

"Why are you so sappy today, Joe?" I pushed him and smiled. "I'm not complaining or anything you can feel free to tell me how fantastic I am anytime."

Joe shrugged before throwing an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a hug. "Guess I just missed you." I smiled and closed my eyes resting my head on Joe's chest soaking in a much needed hug.

"I missed you too Joey."

"He's right you know, you are so much like Mom; she and Dad would have been so proud of you."  I looked up to see my eldest brother standing in the doorway.

"KEVY!" I bounced off the bed and into his arms excited to see him. "I'm so happy to see you."

Kev laughed before picking me up in a hug. "Sorry for interrupting, I just wanted to stop by and make sure everything was alright before I headed home, you seem to be in good spirits."

"I was going loony in the hospital. I'm so glad to be home."

"We are all glad you are home, it was too quiet in the house without you around." Kevin held me at arm's length. "How are you feeling?"

I smirked. "I have a feeling I'll be asked that question a lot but for the record, I'm fine." Kevin nodded deciding to accept my answer and pulled me back into another hug, placing a kiss on the top of my head.

"I better get home, Dani has been taking care of three big baby boys this week on top of the girls, I'd say she is due for some relaxation." I pulled from the hug nodding my head.

"Yes, she told me she almost beat you three into a coma so you could join me in the hospital." I said with a giggle.

"I don't doubt that one bit." Kevin said with a smirk, "I'll see you tomorrow."

Surprisingly enough it was nearly dinner time before Nick made his appearance. I was sitting on my bed pouring over the mountain of homework that had piled up in my absence when there was a knock at my door, I looked up to see my youngest brother, still in his button down and tie from school, a big smile on his face.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to welcome me home." I teased pushing the mound of homework aside and making room for him to take a seat.

"I had some conferences after school, I just walked in." He said taking a seat on the bed. "Happy to be home?"

"More than you know, although not really happy about what I came home to." I said gesturing to the massive amount of work.

Nick chuckled, "You have extensions on all your work, don't overdo it, just take your time and get it handed in as you finish it...don't stress yourself out, stress can effect..."

"Sugars, I know." I said with a sigh.

Nick nodded and patted my knee. "How have your numbers been today?"

I shrugged, tossing my notebook on top of the pile of homework and squeezing the bridge of my nose at the corners of my eyes. "They have been all over the place." I said honestly

Nick nodded giving me a reassuring smile. "It will get better Cee, it takes time for your body to get used to using insulin again...you just need to be patient."

"Patience isn't really one of my strong suits Nicky." I whined causing him to chuckle.

"God doesn't give you patience, he provides you with opportunities to be patient." He said causing me to cock a brow.

"Did you just quote Evan Almighty?" I asked with a giggle.

"Morgan Freeman as God was pure magic, I challenge anyone to tell me different." He said with a smile. "It's true though..."

"Yes I know, Morgan Freeman made an epic God," I said rolling my eyes.

Nick chuckled and shook his head, "No, I mean the part about God giving us opportunities to learn. Everything happens for a reason Cee, the good and the bad."

I nodded in agreement, "I know...I mean, it would have been better if God had given me something like a puppy to teach me patience, but ya know, diabetes works too." I said being snarky.

"A puppy would never survive in your care...you can't even keep an alarm clock for more than three months before they mysteriously end up smashed." Nick chided.

Rolling my eyes, I smirked. "Me?? Need I remind you of how you get when you are flying high and dropping f-bombs?"

"Don't think this gives you permission to spout profanities when your levels are high." Nick said pointing a warning finger in my direction.

I laughed. "Well, that's no fun, what's the point of having diabetes if I can't spout profanity?"

"Something you should have thought of before." Nick teased before wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a hug. "I'm so glad that you are home."