Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: To Start Anew

Third Person P.O.V:

//Three weeks after events//

You know that feeling you get when you see someone you love? The aching in your heart and the fluttery feeling in your stomach? Do you know how it feels to stare at them deeply with sincerity but to be brushed off as someone you barely know? The smile that adorns their features to turn bitter and form into a frown because you are there? Do you know how awful it feels? 

Haise watched as her hand came in contact with his arm, wrapping her fingers around him gently. He stared in awe at her boldness even after he had unleashed his caged in anger. Her eyes were bright red, nose a light shade of pink, no tears brimming. She looked sick, bundled up in a heavy jacket and a scarf tucking her chin and neck. Her gloves were off despite the frost and chilling weather. It was mid-December, and she dared to challenge it just so she could feel his clothed skin. 

Guilt was washing over him, taunting at the horrible mistake he did a few weeks before and now. His teeth chattered, clanking against each other. It was cold enough for a ghoul to feel his body go numb. How could the mortal feel? 

"Sasaki, p-please d-don't walk a-a-way." A puff between every stammered word clouded, disappearing shortly after. Haise knew that although he was once screamingly angered at the author, he sighed, his lips making contact with the cold air. 

He shrugged her off, standing by her side. He took off his heavy coat and placed it over the woman, placing one hand on her shoulder and the other on her opposite side. He brought her closer to his body, speedily walking to a nearby building that offered warmth until the terrible weather passed. 

Dizzily, he continued to grip her arm and shoulder until finally, he fell through the door, almost fainting from the extreme temperature. The woman, (y/n), quickly adjusted his position, letting Haise's coat fall into the snow. Although it was his, for her it was nothing valuable compared to the man she's desperately tried to contact. Steadying him, she stroked her thumb over his forehead, sweeping hair to the side as she made eye contact. 

The very few people in the room glanced briefly but turned their heads, showing no interest. Deep down, Haise and (y/n) were thankful for the lack of attention. It was just them in a tense bubble, ready to pop. 

The silence that consumes and eats as you fall into a melancholic state. You have no idea what to do or say but beg to be in their presence again. Yearning for the horrible memories to be erased and forgotten, to start anew. 

(y/n) swallowed the building saliva even if her swollen throat protested. She was sick of being ignored, a fool to let it control her body. She wanted to say his name without it sounding like it would be the last time they would ever speak. She was determined to fix whatever was standing between them. 

"This is a hotel," She coughed into her arm, backing away as she refused to let Haise receive the illness she has. Wheezing, her eyes blur but she still looks at Haise with endearing eyes. "Let's-" Again another cough bursts out of her mouth, worsening as she continued to speak. 

Haise knew what she wanted to request and told her to stay quiet, that he would handle things. (y/n) watched with burden as she was sat down in a chair away from the three people who sat by the television. They all stole glances at her weary figure, their upper lips cringing at the sight of a sick woman. 

Idiotic, who go out in weather like this in that state? -- Is what she assumed they were all thinking. Fidgeting, she brought her sight to the man she cared so much for. Dark circles decorated his features, taking away the beauty of his grey eyes.