twenty nine

it was the night of prom and the gang decided that they would pick up the girls from alyssa's house and ride together to prom in the limo johnson rented. briana said she couldn't make it and that'd she meet jack at the prom. 

"why do i feel like tonight's going to suck?" kennadi asked alyssa, stopping her makeup process. 

alyssa rolled her eyes, "kennadi, stop being such a downer. it's prom night for fucks sake." 

"i know," she sighed, "but for some reason i'm not happy..."

"you're not happy because you're not with jack." kennadi shrugged. "just enjoy and make the most of your night," alyssa continued. "you'll still be with the gang."

"i guess." kennadi shrugged, finishing her makeup. 

-

the boys showed up at alyssa's door after an hour and alyssa's mom and dad let them in, calling the girls to let them know they were here. 

alyssa was the first to walk down because kennadi was still putting on her dress. johnson eyed her as she walked down. he smiled widely and reached for her hand when she reached the last step. 

"you look amazing alyssa." he said to her.

blush crept on her cheeks as she nodded. "and you look mighty handsome, j." the boys' suits matched their group theme they decided to do: white. "kennadi, hurry up!" alyssa screamed. 

"i'm coming!" she yelled back, slipping on her shoes.  the teens conversed with each other as they waited for their final friend to come down. 

when kennadi walked out, jack pulled away from the conversation he was having, all of his attention going onto kennadi. the two piece white dressed fit her curves nicely, her loose curls flowed over her shoulders and her plump lips colored a nude shade. jack's jaw almost dropped, he was lost for words. 

"daaaaaaamn," sammy smirked. "my date is super hot tonight." jack's head instantly snapped towards sammy. that's right. she was his date.

kennadi rolled her eyes, grabbing sammy's hand. "you look nice." she told jack.

"y-you do too." he stuttered but smiled. "extremely beautiful." 

kennadi gave him a smile before walking off with sammy. 

"pictures!" alyssa's mom yelled, running to the teens with a camera in her hand. 

"mom." alyssa groaned in embarrassment.

"what? my baby is all grown up and going to prom. i need pictures! huddle up!" she pushed the teens together. they laughed and posed for the pictures. 

"okay, now alyssa and her date." her mom said after taking the group picture. johnson wrapped his arms around alyssa from behind, sideways and they both smiled when the camera flashed. 

"kennadi, come up." she waved the teen and her date over.  kennadi stood directly in front of alyssa's mom. sammy went up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her cheek for the pose. 

"you guys are so cute." alyssa's mom awed, snapping the picture. "jack, honey where's your date?"

"i'm uh, meeting her at the prom." he answered a little embarrassed that he didn't have a date with him. 

"i'll take a picture with him." kennadi piped up. "come on jacky, best friend pictures."

jack smiled and joined in, taking the position sammy was just in. he wrapped his arm around her waist and placed a kiss on her shoulder. mrs. coleman snapped the pic with a smug look on her face, knowing that was not the type of pictures "best friends" take. 

"you guys ready?" johnson asked the group. nods and murmurs of yes's came from the teens. they huddled together, leaving the house and crowded into the limo. 

-

briana showed up a few moments after the arrived and she joined jack. the took a few goofy group pics with the camera man the school provided and then hit the dance floor. for most of the night it was upbeat music, so the friends all just danced together. 

towards the end of the night, the dj started to play a slow song. johnson and alyssa paired off and so did jack and briana. a girl then walked up on sam, asking him to dance. kennadi knew the girl, her name was anastasia, she was a friend of stella's. sammy looked to kennadi and silently begged her with his eyes to let him go dance with her. 

"go." she muttered. 

sammy quickly thanked her and took her hand, leading her into the crowd slow dancing. kennadi sighed and went to go sit at an empty table. this is what she feared, being alone on prom night. she just wanted to go home at the point. 

she took out her phone and scrolled down twitter, liking and retweeting tweets to pass the time. 

"what's a pretty thing like you doing alone?" a voice said from behind her, making he jump. 

kennadi quickly looked behind her, "jesus, jack." she breathed. "don't do that."

"sorry." he chuckled, pulling a chair up to sit next to her. "where's sam?"

kennadi nodded in his direction and jack looked over, seeing him slow dancing with the blonde. 

he nodded, "he finally manned up and got with stas." he snorted. 

kennadi stifled a laugh. jack frowned, "wanna dance?" he asked her.

"what about briana?" kennadi knitted her eyebrows together. 

jack shrugged, "one dance won't hurt." he stood up and outstretched his hand for her. kennadi broke out into a huge smile, taking his hand. he led her to the dance floor and from there, he wrapped his arms around her securely and kennadi took comfort by laying her head on his shoulder.

"can you believe we graduate in a few weeks?" jack said to her as the swayed to the music together. 

"i know," kennadi breathed. "times going by so fast."

"yeah," jack agreed. there was a brief silence before he spoke up again. "what do you thinks going to happen?"

"what do you mean?" kennadi asked, confused. 

"to us. the group... you and me. what if we all go our separate ways?" jack asked with a frown. he hated the idea of the gang disconnecting because of the different paths they took. 

kennadi shook her head, "we're not going to let that happen, jack."

"good," he said, pulling away. they both stared deeply into each other's eyes. "because i can't lose you." he whispered, crashing his lips onto kennadi's. 

johnson smirked and nudged alyssa, nodding in jack and kennadi's direction. alyssa gasped at the scene of the two best friends in the middle of the dance floor, kissing. her opened jaw was soon replaced with a smirk and she shook her head, laying it on her jack's shoulder. 

they finally pulled away from the kiss after it felt like forever and just smiled like idiots towards each other. they laughed it off and instead they danced together the whole night, never letting each go. now, kennadi didnt want to go home. she wanted to stay in this moment with jack forever. where she belonged.