4

It was now spring time.
I had just turned eleven not too long ago and Jason was twelve. The leaves on the trees were now a bright green color and all the flowers in the garden had bloomed. The sky was beginning to fade to night, but the sun had not set yet. I sat on my branch on the tree with a notebook in my lap. I was finishing up the last of the my homework when the branch shook slightly. Jason carefully made his way to my side and dropped down to sit next to me. He was wearing his Robin suit, the cape hung off behind him. I smiled and closed the book. He hadn't put the mask on yet but he was holding it "I have something to tell you, it's a secret though"

"Well" I patted the branch "this is the secret tree so..."

Jason cleared his throat and scoped out the area, as if looking for someone who would be listening. I rolled my eyes and smiled "okay" he started "so I kinda like someone, like a crush like like someone"

"Whoa!" I breathed "really? At school?"

"Yea, she goes to my school"

"aww Jason! Who is she? Do I know her? What does she look like?" I drilled him with questions, scooting closer to him with every sentence.

"I uh" he began to look nervous "I don't think that I can tell you that"

"What?" My mouth fell open "but we're best friends! This is the secrets tree. You swore an oath!"

"No I didn't!"

"Well you should have!"

"Well uh, I got to go. Bruce and I are going on patrol soon" Jason started to descend down the limbs of the tree.
Ugh, he got me excited for no reason. Sometimes I can't stand that boy "I'll see you later tonight or tomorrow"
I watched him jumped down to the grass and sprint for the mansion. At first he seemed excited to tell me, but when he started, it just fell away.

Part of me, for some reason, expected him to say that he liked me. But I guess I expect too much.

                             ***

I stood at the edge of the street. The clock at the top of the library building chimed 10:00pm. Alfred was suppose to pick me up from the library now. He was running just a little bit late. This was one of the less crowded roads in Gotham so nobody was really out at this time. I stood under the street light which was swarmed with moths. My arm was wrapped around the pole and my library book was clutched in my other hand.
Across the street, tires screeched on the road and the noise echoed around the alley. I looked over to the sound. The car stopped at the side of the road and two guys jumped out wearing ski masks. I stepped back, letting out a small gasp
"It's Bruce Wayne's kid! She's worth a lot of money! Get her!" One of them pointed directly at me.

I dropped my book and it clattered on the sidewalk "uh oh..." I bolted back for the library doors which were now locked. I banged on the door but no one answered. The two guys were running up the stairs after me. I jumped on the metal railing of the stairs and slid down right past them to the sidewalk. They reached out to grab me but I slipped past them. I've trained how to fight and defend myself with Jason a million times, but this isn't training, this is the real thing. I landed on the sidewalk and dashed down the street "after her" the man yelled, pulling on the others guys collar.
I looked over my shoulder, feeling fear rise in my gut as they gained speed. One of them grabbed my shoulder and flung me back against the pavement. My body slammed on the concrete. His large body pinned me down. I started punching at his face with all my might "grab the rope!" He ordered to the other guy in the ski mask.

"No!" I yelled, flailing my legs to try and get out from under him but nothing worked.

Another hand entered the picture. It was covered in a black glove and it wrapped around the guys neck and lifted him off the ground. The guy attacking me was thrown across the sidewalk and landed with a thud. I scrambled to a sitting position as two figures stood in front of me. It was none other than Batman and Robin themselves. The two guys stood up to face the heroic duo, but immediately shrunk back when they saw who it was "Robin" Dad spoke in his signature low voice "get her out of here"

"Right" He spun around and lifted me off the ground "please tell me you're okay Cora" he hissed and practically shoved me down the sidewalk as Dad began taking out the bad guys. He didn't kill them or anything, he didn't even hurt them that bad, he just pushed them back. The faint sound of police cars blared from down the street.

"I'm okay" I nodded breathlessly, holding on to his arm even though we were out of danger "they just caught me off guard, that's all"

"I saw you punching that one guy! It was pretty cool" Jason turned down an alley. That's where the Bat Mobile was waiting for us "here, hop in" Jason opened up the door for me.

"Are you going to drive?!" I stopped at the door, not knowing if I should get in or not.

"Of course not" Jason laughed just as a dark figure dropped down from the roof of the building lining the alley and landed on the hood of the car "he's gonna drive"

Dad got down from the hood and placed both of his hands on his shoulders "Cora, are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

"No" I shook my head "I'm okay. You guys got here just in time"

"Good" he pulled me in to a hug.
A horn honked at the edge of the alley to aware us of its presence. We all spun around to see who it was.

Alfred stepped out of the car and laid his hand on the top of the car door. He gave us all a confused look and asked "did I miss something?"

                               ***

I saw the men in ski masks again. They grabbed me, threw me in a dark trunk. Then, the trunk filled up with icy cold water and I drowned.
I shot up in my bed, feeling sweat pour down my forehead. The blankets had been kicked off my bed. A flash of lightening illuminated my room, casting dark shadows on the floor. I jolted, seeing the light through the little part in between my curtains.
I climbed out of bed and ran to the window, throwing open the curtain to see the fullness of the storm. Trees were blowing all around, practically bowing down to the wind. Rain pounded against my window, sounding like bullets. A loud crack of thunder shook the whole house, while another bolt of lightening hit. I clutched the curtain, feeling extremely lost.
The thought of almost being kidnapped haunted me, even though it happened almost two weeks ago. I had nightmares almost every night of what could have happened.
I backed away from the window and ran towards the door of my room. I threw it open and stepped out in to the hallway, a flash of lightening hit outside the large window at the end of the hall. I froze, rattled by the quick clap of thunder.

I felt something curl around my shoulder. Panic flood through me. I reached over my shoulder and gripped the hand, twisting it as I spun to face my opponent.
"Whoa, Cora! It's me" a young voice spoke, I immediately recognized it as Jason.

"What?" I let go of his hand, blinking as another roll of thunder pounded outside "what are you doing up?!"

"I could ask you the same thing. I was just grabbing a glass of water" he motioned to the glass laying on the carpet, the water had spilled out on to the floor.

"Oh, sorry, I just... couldn't fall asleep"

"You okay?" He asked, a hint of concern grew in us voice.
I didn't know how to answer his question. Lightning flashed, sending in a massive amount of light. It felt like someone turned the lights on for a moment.
I nodded my head, but, it wasn't true, my nodding head turned in to a shake "Come here" he pulled me in for a hug. I was tired, I was in distress, and I was scared. He wrapped his arms around me, doing his best to comfort me. I closed my eyes, completely forgetting about that terrible storm outside my window "everything is going to be okay, the storm will go away" He assured me "the sun will rise in the morning, it always does..."