Chapter 39

☆☆☆ I don't dance, but here I am, spinning you around and around in circles. It ain't my style but I don't care. I'd do anything with you anywhere. Yeah, you've got me in the palm of your hand girl, cause I don't dance.....Lee Brice ☆☆☆

************************************
Mia
****
The party planning kept us, ladies, busy for weeks. John D'Amore had to approve everything. When I first heard that we would be giving a giving a party, I had thought of plastic cups and plates, not chandeliers and roses. Of course, John couldn't throw a party without adding in his favorite flower. The entire house had been transformed to make room for the guests. And there will be a lot of guests. Nearly a seven hundred invitions have been sent out. And close to four hundred have RSVPed.
While I have been so busy with Mawmaw and John, Lex has been working unstop on security for the party. I don't think a mouse could get in without Lex knowing about.
All this has kept the both of us so busy that by the time he comes to see me at night we fall asleep.
The day has finally come.
Tonight I will dance until my feet fall off but before that, I have to get ready. Since this isn't a small get together, like I had first thought, I was surprised with a magnificent dress. A deep dark blue, with sliver glitter, a dress made to look like the nights sky.

Tight fitting and absolutely beautiful

Tight fitting and absolutely beautiful. Lex had left it for me, still in a box, a week ago. I had thanked him with a kiss. That kiss would have lead to more interesting things but we were interpreted by an impatient Oscar. Since the little new comer has been around, I have barely gotten a moment alone with Lex. I don't mind so much really, although I do miss my time with Lex, I'm glad that he has taken Oscar under his wing.
Jess pokes her head in my room.

"The guy is here to fix our hair. And then we have that lady coming to do our nails. I can't believe this is all really happening! I mean, I feel like we are going to Cinderellas ball or something!" She never takes a break for air. "What's wrong? Aren't you excited?"

"Yes. Very. I just wish that Lex could relax a little to enjoy it with me."

Jess reaches out for my hand.
"Believe me, when he sees you in that dress, the only thing on his mind will be getting you out of it."

Grin as she yanks me out of my room. I hope she is right.

~*~
"Oh, my.... Mia!" Mawmaw starts to tear up. "Look at you! You're absolutely gorgeous!"

I giggle, feeling nervous. "Thanks, Mawmaw."

"I wish your mom could have seen you like this. All dressed up."

I hug her close. "She can see me. I know she does."

Hugging her, I see my reflection in a mirror behind her. I look nothing like myself. There are only a few times in life that a girl feels like a real princess and this is one of those times.

The hair dresser has out himself

The hair dresser has out himself. Now, as Mawmaw let's me go, all I have to do is slip into my dress.

~*~
Lex
****
I hate wearing a tie. So, I take it off and toss it aside. Oscar trys to do as I've done and I stop him.

"Well, you did it."

I grin down at the little fellow. "Do as I say. Not as I do."

He rolls his eyes. "Fine."

We stand at the door of the stair case. Waiting for Mia. What could be taking her so long? People have already started to arrive. My father greets and welcomes them. The waiters have just finished setting the table for dinner which will start in about thirty minutes.

Several women and men come by to shake my hand

Several women and men come by to shake my hand. It isn't until I shake the first hand that I realize how shaky mine is. Why am I so nervous? If some does try anything, we are ready, I've made sure of that. Maybe I'm nervous to see her. Which is ridiculous. Whatever it is, I'm too up tight.
My eyes dart from face to face.
Everyone looks happy as could be.
And they all look around the house as if in a trance. I'll give the ladies and my father one thing, they know how to decorate. The house is....beautiful. The last time it looked like this was when my mother was alive.
In a weird way, it almost feels like she's here with us.
I'm a fucking idiot. I feel that way anyways.
Soft music plays. Candles are lit, giving everything a romantic kinda glow. If it wasn't for Mia, I would never be caught dead at a party like this. Not for the life of me. But for her.... I'm figuring out that I will do anything for her. Even dress up and escort her to this damn party.
Up the stairs, I hear women laughing. Just as I look up, does she appear at the top of the stairs. Mawmaw and Jess stand on either side of her but I don't see them. I'm too busy watching Cinderella walk down to me.
I can't breath.
I can't blink.
I've never seen anything so beautiful in my life.
She smiles and I can't return it because at the moment, I can't feel my face.
When she stands before me, I still haven't moved a muscle.

"You don't like it?" she asks looking down at the dress I leaped out for her. "Well, you picked it out. Surly-"

I stop her. "Wow."

She looks back up to me. "Really?! "

I take her hand and pull her to me. "Yes, baby. Wow."

She grins. Her cheeks turning a soft pink. And just like that everything else in the world melts away. Her squeezes my hand and leans up to kiss my cheek.

"You don't look so bad yourself."

And then Oscar clears his throat.
"And me? What about me?"

She tosses his hair. "Handsome as always. One day you're gonna break some poor little girls heart." And then she thinks about what she has just said. "But promise me you won't?"

Oscar raises a brow and grins. "Me? Hurt someone on purpose? Never."

I bring Mias attention back to me. "Are you ready? To meet everyone?"

She takes a deep breath. "Yes. But now I'm nervous."

I grab her around the waist. "Don't be. I won't leave you to the wolves.....again."

My mood darkens as thoughts of her being tied up, flames all around her, come back to me.
She touches my cheek.

"Don't go there. Not to that place. Stay here with me."

Her eyes beg me.

"Come on, baby. "

(So,  for this chapter I added pictures, so everyone could picture what I was trying to describe. Guys, I've had a really rough time trying to describe this. The party has only started. Please vote and especially comment. I'm needing some encouragement you guys. Please let me know if you like the pictures. Maybe y'all would like more like this chapter.)