THE TWENTY FIRST LETTER [NOT SENT]

[NOT SENT]

harry,

it's only been a day since i wrote the last letter, but i felt like i needed to write this down to believe it.

you haven't given up.

i'm grinning as i write because I've never been so relieved in all my life. my pen can barely keep up with the speed i want to write at. I've smudged several of the words and scribbled out many more because i can barely spell them right with the pace.

to explain the happiness i feel, i should probably write down what happened. you called me and told me you were sorry for ignoring me. i told you it was ok because honestly it was. i wasn't mad because you said you were sorry and i could tell you meant it.

we're meeting tomorrow. you're taking me to the zoo, which made me even happier because you must have remembered me saying i liked the zoo.

but it also worried me because it seemed like you were trying to make something up to me. that's how it used to be. if you did something wrong, you'd buy me something i'd said i liked or take me some place i mentioned looked nice. then, when i would ask you what you'd done, you'd laugh and say: am i not allowed to treat my girlfriend? and you'd always look guilty as hell as you kissed me on the cheek.

so, what have you done?

love, marnie x