As I slowly walked, I continued to think over my life and where I am right now. I’m simply so tired of living, of making decisions, of convincing myself every day that I’m okay. I’m sick of floating with no purpose, especially when I have nothing and nobody to live for.

I couldn’t quite believe that I was being so calm about this. Suicide. But then again, I’m not leaving anything significant behind, so there’s really nothing to hold me back.

This is smart of me. You could say that I’m helping the world by removing myself from it. I won’t be taking up any more space, and perhaps someone really awesome can replace me in the world. Like the person that will find the cure to cancer, or a future world leader, who knows.

Yes, this is a good thing I’m doing.

My breathing began to get shallower as I neared the middle of the bridge. I had subconsciously decided that I would jump from the right side, seeing as I was right handed, so I was walking down that side of the bridge.

I wasn’t so much nervous as I was anxious. I was ready to get it done with now; to be over, finished. No more thinking, no more stress, no more pretending. I wanted to be consumed by darkness, swallowed whole by the earth.

I wanted to die.

I somewhat smiled to myself when I saw that my destination was just about twenty yards away. I had been walking slowly up to this point, trying to think, but now I had a little more pep in my step. Demented, I know.

I was just in the middle of taking a deep breath, trying to memorize everything about my last few moments of being alive, but immediately stopped and almost choked on air when I saw something up ahead on the edge of the bridge railing.

Someone, to be more precise.

In the exact same spot I had been heading for.

Getting ready to jump.

The person on the edge was a guy - that much I could tell.

He was wearing plain jeans, and a heavy green hoody. His entire frame was shaking, and I could see that his knuckles were white from gripping the railing behind him so tightly. He had brown hair, and even from behind I could tell that it was shorter on the sides and pushed up in the front.

I just stood there staring for a few seconds. Was this really happening? I end up at a bridge planning to kill myself and just so happen to stumble upon a guy who is also planning to kill himself? I feel like I just stepped into a Lifetime movie.

My presence had gone unnoticed thus far, and the mystery suicidal guy was gradually loosening his grip on the the railing with each passing second. As soon as he let go of that rail, one slip and he would be done for. And for some reason, I just couldn’t let that happen.

Now there are several options I could have taken right then and there to attempt to get this guy off of the platform he stood on, nothing separating him from the waters below. I could have called the police, or calmly tried to talk him down, but no. I did the next best thing that came to mind.

“Hey idiot!” I shouted, my voice hoarse from the cold.

The boy jumped in fright, his foot slightly slipping and his whole body jerking, turning his torso and falling into a weird crouch position as he clutched onto the railing for dear life, facing me.

“Jesus Christ! What the hell woman!” Mystery Suicidal Guy shouted, panting and holding onto the rail as if his life depended on it.

Because well, it did.