Chapter Thirteen

Our journey is continuing with Edward, Bella and Garrett. I do have a blog for this story. It's a continuation of the Renovations blog. A link for the blog is on my profile. On the blog, there will be picture teasers, teasers and pervy picture teasers. This story is going to be quite steamy and it's pre-written. It will be updated on Wednesdays and Saturdays with teasers on Sundays and Thursdays.

Also, thank you to Christina Downs for her help with planning out the story and wielding her red pen (cursor). You rock, girlie! Mwah!

Chapter Thirteen

"Thank you, Ms. Swan," Carmen D'Amato said, hugging Bella tightly. "I have no doubt that with your help, we can get Alec's birth parents' rights removed. They caused so much damage to my little boy. I hate seeing him so empty."

Bella watched as the boy played robotically in the firm's play room. He was still heavily medicated, but was recovering, slowly from his traumatic ordeal of meeting Felix. Upon seeing a picture of Felix and a photo of his birth father, Bella understood why the boy was upset. They were nearly identical in every way, except the eyes. Felix had dark brown eyes while Alec's birth father, Sean, had bright green eyes. Sean, though, looked evil, dark and mean, a monster among men.

"With a mother like you, Mrs. D'Amato, Alec will grow and thrive to be the man he was supposed to be," Bella whispered. "And call me Bella. We have a long journey and such formalities aren't needed."

"Only if you call me Carmen," she replied, hugging her new attorney. "I'm sorry that my husband couldn't make it back from his business trip. There was an awful snowstorm that canceled his flight."

"It's no problem. I wanted to make sure that Alec was okay with me helping him out. Our physical similarities worked in our favor," Bella quipped.

Carmen D'Amato was ten years older than Bella, but was the same height and build to the warm, loving woman. Alec looked at Bella a long time before he started talking. However, once he sensed that Bella wasn't a threat, he opened up and told her all about what his parents did to him.

"If you could, please gather all of the medical records and information regarding Alec. Before we can proceed with the adoption, we need proof that Alec's parents abused him. If he's sent back to them, it could physically and emotionally scar him, irrevocably harming him. I also need to spend some time reading on adoption case law in New York. I'm qualified to practice law here, but it's been a long time since I've done it. I'm praying that we can have this all settled before the New Year."

"Everything?" Carmen asked.

"Everything. Medical records, dental records, reports from his school, psychologist records. We need as much ammunition to terminate their parental rights," Bella said. "I also want Alec to be examined by our psychologist. I would like him to speak on his own behalf. He's nine and he should have a say in where he wants to live. However, I don't want to put him on the stand if he can't handle it."

"A woman, right?" Carmen verified.

"Yes. Dr. Jane Wong comes highly recommended and works wonderfully with children," Bella soothed. "But, I do want to read up on the latest case law. Give me until next week. I should have some more information for you then. For now, just enjoy your son and give him extra snuggles."

The two women hugged again and Carmen left with her foster son. He timidly waved at Bella, which Bella responded with a one fingered wave in return. He smiled shyly, holding his mother's hand as they rode down to the lobby of the massive glass and steel office building. Bella turned on her heel, walking to her temporary office and began reading up on as many recent cases that were similar to Alec's.

Bella had been in New York City for a little over a week. Carmen couldn't meet with Bella since Alec was admitted to a psychiatric facility. It gave Bella an opportunity to get over the flu. As soon as she arrived in New York, her body collapsed and her fever escalated. She called Aro on Sunday evening, sounding like death warmed over. However, he came over and took care of her along with his wife, Sofia. Edward and Garrett were ready to fly out when they heard how sick she was, but she told them that she'd be fine. Bella was able to go into the office toward the end of the week, researching the case.

Aro poked his head into Bella's office after her meeting with Carmen. "You are still recuperating, Isabella Swan. I know you don't want Sofia to babysit you again," Aro chided.

"I like Sofia," Bella smirked, taking some ibuprofen. "But, I'm feeling better. Just battling a headache since I left my reading glasses at home."

"Home, corporate apartment or home, Seattle?" Aro snorted.

"Home, Seattle," Bella deadpanned. "My boyfriend is sending them to me. He said that he shipped them on Friday. I didn't realize that I didn't have them since I was battling the funk last week."

"Boyfriend?" Aro asked, his thick brows arching over his own thick glasses. "Is this new?"

"About three months, almost four," Bella answered. "I didn't expect it, but I'm happy."

"Excellent," Aro smiled. "I'm sorry about taking you away from him for so long."

"He's understanding," Bella smiled. Both of them understand, but they know it's a part of my job.

"Well, you go home, Bella. You are still not a hundred percent. I don't want you to relapse," Aro said, hugging her. Bella agreed and packed up her laptop and the D'Amato file. Bundling up, she went down to the lobby. She waved at the security guard.

"Do you want a car, Ms. Swan?" he asked.

She looked out the window and shook her head. It was lightly snowing and the walk wasn't that bad. Slipping her bag over her body, she went outside. The weather was brisk, but Bella loved it. Seattle didn't have the weather like New York City. It felt more like Christmas with the snow falling and the lights twinkling on the trees. Bella was not really paying attention and ran into a hard body. "Oh, shit!" she squeaked. "I'm so sorry!"

The body turned around and the ice blue eyes of her ex-husband narrowed at her. "Isabella?" he asked, his voice deep and gravely. "What are you doing here?"

"Um, I'm working on an adoption. It's a friend of Aro's and a very delicate situation," Bella said, smiling tightly. "How are you?" She looked at her ex-husband. He looked tired and shaggy. His hair was longer than normal and his face was covered with a scraggly beard.

"I'm good," he replied, his hands rubbing Bella's shoulders. "You look absolutely beautiful, Isabella." His eyes appraised her, looking at her hungrily.

Bella stepped back, feeling very uncomfortable. "Thank you. I wish I could say the same," she said dryly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "Do you want to get some dinner? Have a drink?"

"Sorry, James. I can't. I'm getting over the flu and this case is ... I'm sorry," Bella said, stepping further back from her ex-husband. She was getting a creepy vibe from him. His eyes were glazed over and he was looking at her like he wanted her. "I'm going to go."

"Come on, Bella," James said, taking her arm and squeezing it tightly. "I miss you."

Ripping her arm from his grip, she held up her hands. "You don't get to miss me, James. You asked for a divorce. You found another woman, another wife. A woman who gave you a child, James. I can't ..." She turned on her heel, waving down a cab. Jumping into the cab, she barked out her address and they pulled away. Bella was shaking since James' behavior was not normal. She tried to ignore it, but that was not the man she divorced.

Edward and Garrett skyped her around ten. She smiled and told them about the case. Purposefully, she chose to not mention her run-in with her ex-husband and his subsequent odd behavior. If it continued to be a problem, then she'd mention. For now, it probably was a fluke. An unfortunate happenstance that occurred on the streets of New York City.

A/N: But was it really? An unfortunate happenstance? Pictures of New York City, Volturi and Volturi Law Offices and Bella's corporate apartment are on my blog. The link for that is in my profile. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation and on twitter: tufano79. Leave me some!

e