Chapter 35

Thanks for all the comments and votes!

Mr Blackbourne's POV

Listening to Miss Sorenson as she answered the boys' questions, I couldn't help but think, again, about what a unique, beautiful, and kind young lady she was.

How could one such as she already trust all of us so soon? What did we ever do to earn said trust? And another thing, how could we all feel such a pull towards her, as if she was the very reason for our very existent?

As I studied the boys and Sean closely, I realized a very important detail that I had, until now, only guessed at.

Not only was I affected, physically and mentally, by Miss Sorenson, but so were they. She had us all wrapped around her little finger, but, for some reason, she didn't seem to know it. One word from her would have had any of us jumping to obey her, just to keep her happy and a smile on her face.

Before meeting her for the first time, I had heard the others talking about her, but put it off as simple curiosity, nothing more. I figured that after they had learned more about her, they all would have lost interest with her, but the opposite seemed to have happened. Even I could not see myself walking away from her now.

I'm not too sure that I could have even walked away from her from the very first meeting.

Though neither Sean nor myself spent as much time with Miss Sorenson as the others did, what little time we did spend with her never failed to leave an impression on us.

It was not just the need to protect her that motivated me. There was just something about her, either her vampire nature or something else entirely, that pulled me towards her.

Looking around at the others now and thinking about how they had reacted to the events from earlier, I realized that they felt the exact same way.

Just watching her as she had relaxed back against Sean earlier, and then Mr Coleman now, I wanted nothing more than to hold her myself. As it was, just seeing her willingly take comfort from one of us was enough to have me finally, for the first time since arriving, relaxing.

Knowing that Sean had to start a shift at the hospital soon and I also had a meeting to attend, we left shortly after, with Sean giving Miss Sorenson a hug and him silently laughing at me while I shook her hand.

As we pulled out of the driveway, Sean spoke.

"You know, Owen, you can give Miss Sang a hug without the world ending. Letting go of that strict, always proper Mr Blackbourne and acting like a normal teenager wouldn't hurt either."

"Not all of us can act like you, Sean. Perhaps Miss Sang would rather a hand shake than a hug. Have you ever thought that maybe touch is uncomfortable for her, given the shocks?"

"Oh come now, Owen. You and I both know that that is not the real reason. Besides, you know we always make sure to only touch her arm when we first see her, just in case. Well, you should, seeing as how you made it a rule to always do so."

I remained silent.

"I understand, Owen. I really do, but being so stiff all the time doesn't do any one any good. Let loose and live a little."

"Have you found anything out with the blood sample yet," I asked, changing the subject. I had heard this particular speech countless times before and knew that I would many more times in the future.

I focused on the road, but could feel him staring at me, probably giving me that same look as he usually did when I avoided this subject. After a pause, he spoke.

"Since I have no other vampire blood sample, I have nothing to compare it to. It's slightly different than human blood, but we already figured it would be. There were a couple of abnormalities in the blood, but, again, I have no way of knowing if it's normal or not. There are also traces of an unknown substance, but again, no way of knowing if it's normal or not."

"You will figure it out, Sean. I have no doubts in your ability to solve this," I told him, confident in his ability to solve any puzzle put in front of him.

"I hope you are right, Owen. I really do."

"In case you have forgotten, I am always right," I smirked a little as I spoke.

"You wish, Owen," he replied, in a joking tone. When he next spoke, he was as serious as I had ever heard him to be.

"What do you think the guy wanted with Pumpkin?"

Before I could answer him, because, in fact, I did not know everything, his phone beeped. After a slight pause, he spoke.

"It's Luke. Seems Miss Sang has drank the last of the bags of blood and will need more. He's wondering if I know where to get some more. I can certainly help with that. I am a doctor, you know."

I really hope that I captured Mr Blackbourne right. He was a little harder to write for. Any feed back would be welcome!

Don't forget to comment/vote. Thanks! :)