Chapter 12

Percy sighed as he sat up in his bed. It was another day of not being able to sleep, his mind running one hundred miles an hour, desperately trying to find a way to filter all of the memories that immortality provided. He wasn't built for this, he wasn't meant for this, and, yet, here he was with golden blood and no coffin in sight.

He rubbed his face, kicking his sheets off and moving to his night table for a shirt. Once he found one, he slipped it on and went to the kitchen to see if he could prepare anything. Having lunch with the children yesterday was fun but, in his mind, he knew that he didn't truly belong. He didn't belong in this world and to continue talking to the people would only make the separation even harder. But he couldn't leave Naruto, not when the kid was still unsure of his own place in the village. He needed him and, so, he would stay for now, just a little while longer.

Percy glanced at the clock and sighed once more when he noticed that it was only four in the morning. He would have to start breakfast in another hour when he woke up the Uzumaki. The god made his way to the living room, easily finding a book he had set aside that was completely in Greek, and settled down on the couch, tucking a blanket around him.

He only made it about two pages into the book before there was a soft knock on the door. He put his bookmark back into place and got up, carefully draping the blanket on the back of the couch. The god walked to the door and opened it a bit, carefully peering out at the person on the other side. "What," He opened it fully in surprise. "Kakashi? What're you doing here?"

"Um," The Jounin looked confused for a second, like he wasn't expecting the god to ask that question. "I thought we could talk?"

"I'm not telling you anything about my powers," Percy said, crossing his arms.

"I'm not- I just," Kakashi sighed in frustration as he tried to find the words he wanted. "I wanted to know if you were okay?"

"I- What?" Percy looked taken-aback and he stepped back to let the Hatake in. "You wanted to know if I'm okay? At four in the morning?"

"Okay, yeah, so maybe I could've come later but I was worried, you know, and I couldn't sleep until I knew- are you okay?"

The god stared at the Jounin for a moment, his sea-green eyes unreadable, before he turned to walk to the kitchen, "I'll make us some coffee. You can sit at the couch if you want or the dining table. I don't really care."

Kakashi nodded and went over to the couch, moving the book aside and placing it on the coffee table, only glancing at it once in curiosity. After a few minutes, the sound of coffee making started softly and he watched as the god came over and sat heavily next to him.

"It'll be ready in a couple minutes," Percy said tiredly, rubbing his face. "You wanted to know if I'm okay. Why?"

"You seemed really out of it during lunch yesterday," Kakashi looked at the god. "Like you weren't really there, like you were watching everything but you weren't a part of it. You looked sad and distant, and you wouldn't let any of the Genin touch you, even when it was Naruto reaching towards you."

"Oh," The green-eyed man said in a tiny voice. "I didn't think you noticed."

"I did," The Jounin turned fully towards him. "I noticed. Why are you pulling away?"

"Kakashi, I'm immortal," Percy rubbed his face tiredly. "When you all die, I'll still be here. I have to watch you all grow old and die. I can't live with that, I just can't."

"So, you're just going to distance yourself, you're going to leave?" Kakashi narrowed his eye, clenching his teeth under his mask, "What about us, huh? Are supposed to just forget about you? Are we supposed to pretend that you don't exist?"

"Kakashi-"

"No, listen to me! Yes, being immortal means that you're going to see us die but what about the years you get to have with us? What about all of the stories you can share for us? Would you really give up this much friendship just like that?"

The god didn't answer and just stood, "I think the coffee's ready. Excuse me."

--

"Why're we picking up food again?" Naruto asked as he followed Sasuke through the market district of Konoha.

"Because," Sasuke paused to pick up an apple, inspecting it. "You and Percy can't cook. I know a decent amount and I'm sure that Shikamaru knows something, so we're going to help you both cook so you don't die. This one's good," He put the apple in a basket he was holding that was already filled with four or five.

"Oh, okay," The Uzumaki nodded, scratching his head. "Um, can we get, uh, carrots? And blueberries? Percy likes blueberries."

The Uchiha looked over in surprise but nodded, "Sure, they're over here. Come on."

The two genin walked around the market area, picking out some nice food that would be good to keep at the Uzumaki's apartment. They studiously ignored the glares from the villagers that were aimed at Naruto but Sasuke did practically growl at one when they came too close.

"Thanks, Sasuke," Naruto rubbed the back of his head, smiling widely. "I really appreciate it."

"No problem, dobe," The Uchiha smirked, hefting some of the bags up in his hands and gesturing for the other to grab the rest.